• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Cent Error ?? 1929 ?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Does the date appear to be an error or something that happened after it was minted. I’ve had a few people say it looks like it was done through vending machine. I’m just looking for more opinions. Thanks in advance! 

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

Damaged after it left the mint, your close up is too pixilated to say for sure my guess is it took a hit which moved the metal around.   Could have been accidental or on purpose.

Edited by Coinbuf

I should like to go on record as stating I do not agree or accept the foregoing good faith explanations, but I do not have a credible alternate.

I just don't see how any external force which, when applied, would cause the leg of the 9 to straighten up, as shown -- DISPLACING METAL ON METAL WITHOUT LEAVING ANY HINT OF THE EGREGIOUS ASSAULT BEHIND.

Behold the surface of the Lincoln which bears no sign of a intrusive surgical strike as evidenced by its pristine, scarless, chatter-free surface. Sorry, but I cannot bow to speculative jargoning in lieu of a straight-forward, hard, assertion of fact.  And... in the rare event that I am wrong, I challenge anyone on the Forum to duplicate this feat of magic i/f/o my eyes.  Any takers?... Any takers?... I thought so...

I DISSENT!  :sumo:

On 9/30/2024 at 2:33 PM, Adina73 said:

Does the date appear to be an error or something that happened after it was minted. I’ve had a few people say it looks like it was done through vending machine. I’m just looking for more opinions. Thanks in advance! 

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

Here is one I found years ago that I keep around for show and tell. The S in trust has been struck (nudged). If you look further in you can see where the curve had been when minted. Just another damaged coin…

IMG_0117.jpg

Edited by R__Rash

On 9/30/2024 at 7:49 PM, R__Rash said:

.... If you look further in you can see where the curve had been when minted....

IMG_0117.jpg

FINE...

... now, would anyone care to point out for the army of lurkers out there where "the curve had been" when the 9 was minted on the OP's coin? You cannot, because there is none!  The age of the coin is not a defense.  I'm from Missouri. You're gonna have to "Show Me"!  :sumo:

I CHALLENGE ANYONE WITHIN THE SOUND OF MY VOICE TO EXPLAIN HOW THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT LEAVING A SMIDGEN OF TRACE EVIDENCE!  THIS NECESSARILY INCLUDES "We don't owe anyone an explanation or benefit of the doubt" @VKurtB .   :sumo:

Edited by Henri Charriere
Rewrite.

On 9/30/2024 at 6:13 PM, Henri Charriere said:

but I do not have a credible alternate.

I'm sure you don't. It's not always possible to know how a coin is damaged. The coin took a hit from something. It could have been from anything that came in contact with the coin. The amount of wear on the coin is a good sign. There are Lincoln cents posted all the time with damage to the last number in the date.  

On 9/30/2024 at 9:46 PM, VKurtB said:

It may even be (dare I say it?) INTENTIONAL disfiguring of digits. Nothing would surprise me any more. People get enamored of “error coins”? Presto, manufacturing of “error coins” to meet demand. 

Good thought. It would not be hard to create something like the OP coin. 

On 9/30/2024 at 9:55 PM, ldhair said:

Good thought. It would not be hard to create something like the OP coin. 

Hey, even a blind pig occasionally roots up a truffle. :insane:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am casting my vote in the camp that the last 9 took a hit and displaced the metal to make it look the way it does now. I agree it is not typical or likely that a hit could form the metal in that straight of a line, but I believe that to be the case here. Your closeup is to pixelated, but looking at the coloration of the pixels, I can see the faint remnant of where the curved tail of the 9 used to be. Then I took a look back at your first pic and looked hard and I can see the slightest bit of remnant metal of the curvature of the 9. This is not an error and it happened after it left the Mint.

I don't think this happened in a vending machine as I don't remember vending machines taking cents. A gumball machine, maybe. It is usually nearly impossible to tell HOW a coin either takes a hit like this, or gets altered to look like this in some other way. There are just too many other ways to ponder to be able to say for sure.

On 9/30/2024 at 7:54 PM, Henri Charriere said:

You cannot, because there is none!

I am sorry, but there is and I can see it.

I should like to thank all those who weighed in, but I remain unconvinced.

If a member, or itinarant lurker, cares to duplicate this feat and provide Before and After shots of his handiwork displaying no telltale "shadow," I would be happy to reconsider the matter.

All in favor say Aye! or Like this comment YouTube-style.  🤣