• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help With Approximate Grade: 1938S Wheat Cent
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I am preparing to sell some coins at an upcoming show. I already graded these pieces myself but I need a second opinion. Mainly because I want to price them reasonably. Sadly I couldn't get my photos cropped correctly so the reverse photos are... not ideal.

1938SpicOBV.thumb.JPG.73ee0718fbe2c3483290ae109f8dc97c.JPG

1938SRev.thumb.JPG.ebd2b0b78762ab23246fd51cd67ed3d6.JPG

I know it will be hard to do anything with that reverse photo but I really only need help with the obverse anyway. I was estimating MS-63. 

Thanks in advance.

I would expect this to grade as MS64 or MS65 at NGC or PCGS, value raw is $4-$5 full retail.   1938 was a great year for Lincoln cents as the production quality was stellar at all three mints thus uber gems are plentiful for this date.   As a result I have seen TPG graded MS64's and MS65's that have sold for $20 or less at auction sites like Great Collections.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/27/2024 at 5:39 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would expect this to grade as MS64 or MS65 at NGC or PCGS, value raw is $4-$5 full retail.   1938 was a great year for Lincoln cents as the production quality was stellar at all three mints thus uber gems are plentiful for this date.   As a result I have seen TPG graded MS64's and MS65's that have sold for $20 or less at auction sites like Great Collections.

Very much appreciated, and better grade than expected. I'm hoping to get $4 for it but I bought this, and four other similar pieces for a dollar apiece.

On 9/27/2024 at 2:46 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Very much appreciated, and better grade than expected. I'm hoping to get $4 for it but I bought this, and four other similar pieces for a dollar apiece.

If selling to the public that is possible, if selling to a dealer I doubt anyone will offer $4, more likely to just break even at $1.

On 9/27/2024 at 5:50 PM, Coinbuf said:

If selling to the public that is possible, if selling to a dealer I doubt anyone will offer $4, more likely to just break even at $1.

Trying to sell to a dealer, but would also consider trading. Might get more out of it that way. Thanks again. =)