• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible error quarter
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I have a bicentennial quarter that was struck off center, has a filled D, but also has what looks like many light scratches that are dotted on the reverse. Some of the dots are considerably deeper. Could this be from the mint or more likely in circulation?

On 9/22/2024 at 2:52 PM, Eileen A said:

Hi all.

I have a bicentennial quarter that was struck off center, has a filled D, but also has what looks like many light scratches that are dotted on the reverse. Some of the dots are considerably deeper. Could this be from the mint or more likely in circulation?

The filled mintmark is called a broken post, very common and is of no value or interest.    Many coins are struck slightly off center, this too is very common and of no value or interest unless some of the design or lettering/numbers are no longer visible.   As mentioned without photos we can only guess as to the marks, but the odds overwhelmingly favor simple circulation damage.

Q.A.:  WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LADY THAT WAS JUST HERE?

🐓  :  She took a powder.  I told you NOT to low-ball her...

Q.A.:  OKAY! OKAY! OKAY! SEE IF YOU CAN CATCH HER. IT MUST HAVE BEEN ONE OF THOSE MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR BICENTENNIALS I KEEP HEARING ABOUT ON THE INTERNET!  TELL HER MY FINAL OFFER IS:  $17 MILLION.

🐓  :  Don't worry.  It's Sunday. The coin shops are all closed. Oh, she just came back...

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You could save a trip to the coin shop (and gas) if you were to provide clear, fully cropped photos of both sides of the coin here. Without those photos, I simply cannot help you with what you see on your coin.

On 9/22/2024 at 4:52 PM, Eileen A said:

Hi all.

Almost certainly damage that makes the coin worth LESS, not more.