• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 D Lincoln Cent
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I do see something on the reverse but don't know if it's due to pareidoelia, apophenia, paranoia -- or common, garden-variety damage.  :whatthe:

This coin, with an abundance of original, red, mint luster represents the Last of the Mohicans: a 90% copper Wheatie.  Even with the alleged damage, it will always be worth more, whatever its condition, in copper melt value.

I would keep it.

What, specifically, do you think is special about this 1959-D cent that would make it a "reference coin"? The raised or irregular areas on the right facing side of the Lincoln Memorial shown in your images appear to be die chips and other common manifestations of die deterioration.

This coin does appear to be uncirculated or nearly so--I can't determine its color designation from the images-- and perhaps worth saving as an album example of a 1959-D cent. However, by touching its surfaces with your bare hands, you are exposing it to skin oils that will likely cause it to develop fingerprints, spots, and/or turn darker. Never hold any coin that you want to collect, especially a copper coin, with your bare hands, except, if you must, by its edges.

On 9/19/2024 at 5:26 PM, CommunicatorDan said:

Got it, no touchy...Thank you both. Still learning.

You've come to us with a coin exhibiting mysterious symptoms...

You've attracted the attention of a learned member with a fine bedside manner who has offered a provisional but entirely credible diagnosis: die chips.

Four of the seven photos you've provided depict a strongly struck specimen which has somehow managed to retain vestiges of its full red original mint luster -- incredibly after 65 years in the wild.

You've just received a verbal wrist slap for reckless handling of a copper cent and there are plenty of Mad Scientists on the Forum to advise on little-known (and rarely shared) proprietary methods to abate the whorly oily footprint left in the wake of contact with a fingerprint -- if one exists.

In short, if there was little reason to hold onto the coin, you now have ample reason to. I would wait a respectable interval to allow other members to weigh in, but for now you're all set.

You have arrived!  :)