• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 D Lincoln Cent
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Good morning. Is this color referred to as red cent? If so, were they minted using a unique process, or did it happen over time? I'm not concerned about its worth, which is at face value. And I am aware of the damage caused by circulation. I am interested in being able to identify the color of a coin by just looking at it. Thank you.

Picture_20240826032207.jpg

In numismatics the grading terms "red" or "mint red" ("RD" on grading service labels) refer to the original, bright orange-yellow or similar color of an uncirculated or nearly so copper coin. Because copper is a highly chemically active metal that darkens from exposure to skin oils and many other substances, even uncirculated copper coins can lose some or all of this color and be classified as "red and brown" ("RB") or "brown" ("BN"). Your circulated 1975-D cent is "brown", as any copper coin with this much wear should be. See Learn Grading: What are BN, RB and RD? | NGC (ngccoin.com) for further details and images.

Edited by Sandon
minor edit

I know very little about the color deficit as it relates to Lincoln cents, but speaking from experience I do not recall ever seeing a RED Cent, some 50 years old, recovered from circulation.  It is my understanding, as well, that when redness is gone, it cannot be restored, and is gone forever.  [Matter of fact, I may consider proclaiming a Statute of Limitations at the 25-year milestone on all claims of truly RED cents.]   :sumo:

On 9/18/2024 at 12:18 PM, Sandon said:

In numismatics the grading terms "red" or "mint red" ("RD" on grading service labels) refers to the original, bright orange-yellow or similar color of an uncirculated or nearly so copper coin. Because copper is a highly chemically active metal that darkens from exposure to skin oils and many other substances, even uncirculated copper coins can lose some or all of this color and be classified as "red and brown" ("RB") or "brown" ("BN"). Your circulated 1975-D cent is "brown", as any copper coin with this much wear should be. See Learn Grading: What are BN, RB, and RD? | NGC (ngccoin.com) for further details and images.

Got it, thank you. Thanks for the "Learn Grading" resource as well. I will do the homework assignment you provided and check in if I have any more questions or need a better understanding of the material. If you were teaching small kids about numismatics, where would you begin? I read an article about the US Mint company's efforts to inspire more people to get into the hobby. My daughter loves coins, and I'm not sure why because she is nonverbal with autism. I know it's not about value; I gave her a $100 bill, and she looked at it and dropped it on the floor like nothing. I left it on the floor all day to see if she would return to it, but she never did. However, when I give her random change from the store she will put it in her pocket. When she ls not wearing pockets, she holds it in her hand all day.  As a parent, I am constantly looking for an invite into her world, and I believe this is one of them. Wow, im sorry, that was way off-topic. Just venting. Extremely out of line. 

On 9/18/2024 at 1:31 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I know very little about the color deficit as it relates to Lincoln cents, but speaking from experience I do not recall ever seeing a RED Cent, some 50 years old, recovered from circulation.  It is my understanding, as well, that when redness is gone, it cannot be restored, and is gone forever.  [Matter of fact, I may consider proclaiming a Statute of Limitations at the 25-year milestone on all claims of truly RED cents.]   :sumo:

Thank you. I love your emoji.

On 9/18/2024 at 4:31 PM, NewEra said:

.... My daughter loves coins, and I'm not sure why because she is nonverbal with autism....

This hobby, perhaps more so than any others, would appeal to those with precisely this type of disability.  Paper and metallic coins are a world apart in eye appeal [and a higher denomination of bank note would not be meaningful enough to invite further inquiry.]

On 9/18/2024 at 6:03 PM, Sandon said:

While you probably already know this, children have been known to swallow coins, which can be quite harmful to them. Please take care in this regard.

As for teaching your daughter about numismatics, the U.S. Mint's website has a page of topics and videos about coins for children at https://www.usmint.gov/learn/kids.

As you yourself seem to be becoming interested in coins, I recommend that you purchase a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins, commonly known as the Red Book, current annual edition dated 2025. This book will answer most of your basic questions. It is available from its publisher at whitman.com and from other booksellers.

The newer editions also contain QR codes that point to Graysheet resources.

On 9/18/2024 at 6:49 PM, VKurtB said:

The newer editions also contain QR codes that point to Graysheet resources.

You used the G word.

On 9/18/2024 at 7:49 PM, powermad5000 said:

You used the G word.

They effectively now own the Red Book and all of Whitman.

On 9/18/2024 at 8:13 PM, VKurtB said:

They effectively now own the Red Book and all of Whitman.

Uh, I think I am going to be sick...[Sound of grown man blowing chunks]

On 9/18/2024 at 1:39 PM, Henri Charriere said:

This hobby, perhaps more so than any others, would appeal to those with precisely this type of disability.  Paper and metallic coins are a world apart in eye appeal [and a higher denomination of bank note would not be meaningful enough to invite further inquiry.]

I agree