• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 No Mint Mark Lincoln Cent
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I don't know exactly, but this looks like the result of heat toning. A rainbow color sometimes appears naturally on coins, but usually when naturally occurring it is on mint state specimens. This coin was introduced to high heat at some point and the result is the interesting toning you see here. Concerning value it is worth one cent, but I personally would keep it because it is interesting. I may have gotten my information wrong though, so lets wait to here from @Sandon or another reputable member. =)

On 9/16/2024 at 5:21 PM, NewEra said:

Hello, I hope everyone is having a productive day. What caused this rainbow like toning on this coin? I think its pretty cool either way. 

Your coin has been altered after it left the mint.  There is no discernable luster showing in your photos.  It may have been heat or exposure to chemicals.  But either way the coin is only worth it's copper value of 3 cents to any knowledgeable collector.  If you like it keep it and enjoy.

On 9/16/2024 at 3:57 PM, Coinbuf said:

Your coin has been altered after it left the mint.  There is no discernable luster showing in your photos.  It may have been heat or exposure to chemicals.  But either way the coin is only worth it's copper value of 3 cents to any knowledgeable collector.  If you like it keep it and enjoy.

Thank you for responding to my question. The questions I post here are for informational purposes only. I am not concerned about how much a coin is worth. I do not even have enough knowledge to attempt to buy or sell coins, so they're all worth face value to me. Heat and exposure to chemicals make sense. The color is too extreme to be natural. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer. I am new here, so please do not give up on me just yet ☺️

On 9/16/2024 at 8:36 PM, NewEra said:

I am new here, so please do not give up on me just yet ☺️

Na. You have to really cross some thick lines for someone like me to exercise my blocking rights. As was said in the movie Repo Man when Otto poured the full beer on the floor, "[edited for language], but you know something, YOU'RE..ALL..RIGHT!"

Being the reactivity of copper, and just seeing how the coloration on your coin is very uneven and splotchy, it could be either from a past cleaning done very wrong and is retoning, or could be from an artificial toning experiment gone wrong.

Just throwing out there a couple more ways it could be possible for a cent like this to look the way it does. It would be hard to pinpoint given all the suggestions thus far what actually caused it, especially if it started circulating again after whatever event it was exposed to.

On 9/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, Sandon said:

Copper, which makes up 95% of the composition of this 1972 cent, is a highly reactive metal that turns a variety of colors from exposure to various substances to which it is exposed in circulation, including the oils on people's fingers. (In response to @ThePhiladelphiaPenny, exposure to heat is a possible accelerant of toning, but it is not clear whether this coin was exposed to heat.) Copper coins that were stored in paper with a high sulfur content have been known to turn a bright blue or violet color.

Interesting, I didn't know that about toning, thank you. =)