• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BU adjectival graded coins and details

2 posts in this topic

Another OP raised a question on coins described as BU which led me to my own question on this topic.

When submissions are made in bulk and given the generic label in the slab of BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED, does anybody know whether or not these same coins have been checked for detractors such as cleaning, repairs, tooling, or other such impairments that would give the coin a Details grade, or if they are simply just given the BU designation based on a quick look?

WARNING!  JOKE!  INCOMING!

The House of Graders is comprised of two distinct assembly lines.

One is marked: SHELDONIZATION; the other is appropriately marked: RUSH JOBS.

A regular submission is graded numerically.  You need not specify Sheldonization (starch in collars, extra.) It is automatic.

If the submission comes calling with bulk, say, the Smithsonian Institution requesting a special label, they will be routed to the adjectival RUSH JOB line where generic grades are dispensed for a wider, not necessarily numismatically-inclined audience.

I believe, and unconfirmed rumor suggests, that decision  is the sole province of submitters to make.

I remain,

Sincerely,

Your humble and obedient servant.  :hi:   :facepalm: