• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ms 60 VS Bu 60
1 1

4 posts in this topic

While I feel it is irregular, if not imprecise, I recognize the intent.  The use of adjectives such as BU, Gem, Choice -- even frosty, etc. often follow a Sheldon scale grade, but is improper when used, as here, standalone. MS-60 is standard. If one wishes to qualify that grade, they may.

MS 60 is a given solid grade on the Sheldon scale. BU is a descriptor as well as is gem, uncirculated, or choice. I have never seen a Sheldon scale number given to a coin attributed as BU as in you will see slabs graded by NGC with the label stating BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED which typically were submitted in bulk and the submitter got a price cut by not having the graders spend any real time to assign the coins an actual Sheldon number grade.

It is generally accepted that a coin given a generic BU designation would grade between MS 60 - MS 62 so if you are shopping for slabs with that designation, you should examine the coin in the slab and determine for yourself what the actual grade would be before you set money down to purchase it as it involves any one of three possible grades. The seller could be asking a price more associated with a 62 coin but the coin in the slab could actually be only a 60 so due diligence is needed when purchasing such slabs.

I am going to start a new topic as I now have my own question in relation to your topic, so you can do some further reading on this BU subject.