• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on 2004 P No mint Mark possible FS-801
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Last week in a bonus bag from my coin shop, I found a Philadelphia Mint set. The Lincoln cent has no "P" mint mark but came from a P mint set. The cent is one of the most flawless Lincoln cents that I have seen. I don't know enough to determine an FS-801 but many of these 2004 Philly cents exhibit these characteristics. If nothing else, the Missing P and the quality of the coin may warrant grading of this cent.. A penny for your thoughts LOL

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_9870.jpg

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_9861 (1).jpg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

On 9/15/2024 at 1:18 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

The Lincoln cent has no "P" mint mark but came from a P mint set.

The only Lincoln cents with "P" mintmarks are the 2017-Ps made both for circulation and in "mint" sets. No 2004 cent has a "P" mintmark!

Per VarietyPlus, the diagnostics for the FS-801, a minor (in my opinion) doubled die reverse variety, are doubling on UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and E PLURIBUS UNUM. See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). Your images don't include closeups of those areas, so I can't tell whether or not it may be of that variety.

There are no known "wide" and "close AM" varieties for 2004, just for 1992, 92-D, 98, 98-S, 99, 99-S, and 2000. Check your "Red Book". If you think that you have found a new variety, you will have to compare it with other 2004 cents and show that there is a difference.

I can't tell from your newer image whether the coin might be an FS-801. I recommend that you compare the coin with the images on VarietyPlus (and the Cherrypickers' Guide if you have it) and look for an exact match.

As far as grade is concerned, I think this might make 66 RD but probably more like 65 and I see a small spot of environmental damage on the reverse above the B in E PLURIBUS.

I don't think this piece is very well struck as the pillars on the Memorial are not very well defined. For you to make a comparison, I will include the photos of my 2003 (P) graded MS 69 RD.

As far as that variety, it is still hard from the photo to tell if it is or it is not, but even if it is, the market for some of these cent varieties is not large and might only attract the interest of a collector of such varieties (i.e. might not add much premium to the coin if it is the variety). I would think about that before spending the money on submitting it.

PXL_20240426_021555410.jpg

PXL_20240426_021847105.jpg