• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m Back in Dixie After the York Sale

11 posts in this topic

I’m making an exception and photographing these with my Amscope microscope. A Large Cent is about the maximum field. Oh, there were GORGEOUS Indian Cents also, but only one date I needed. 

Edited by VKurtB

I averaged 27 mpg with my Ford Explorer ST with the twin turbocharged 3.0 liter V6. It is rated at 430 hp, but alas, my brain is not. If my wife had gone, it would have shaved more than an hour off each way. (: The secret of great mileage is tire inflation. 

Edited by VKurtB

My Sony digital camera has a “the battery doesn’t want to take a charge” issue. After I get it to take some juice, my photos will go up. The 1817 cent is especially gorgeous, looking like it was minted last week, but somehow fully brown already.  The 1802 1/000 exhibits a bit of a grainy field, but the bust is nicely detailed. The plate coin in Mega Red Number 1 has a similar look. Mine is an earlier die state because the weakness in STATES is minimal.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/15/2024 at 8:05 PM, Just Bob said:

Congratulations on the new pickups. They sound like great coins. Looking forward to the pictures.
How were the prices realized and the general mood of the auction?

These sales in York, PA have a steady clientele that is primarily local (south central PA) coin show and flea market / farmer’s market dealers. The rest is made up of older collectors, such as yours truly. The prices realized are lower than almost anywhere else I bid. Why? Because four figure and high three figure coins are being sold overwhelmingly RAW. Yes, there were some slabbed pieces, but they were by far the exception. A number of years ago, a solid MS65 1916-D Mercury dime, RAW, was in their sale. It had a secret reserve that did not get met, but it remained raw. There is a badass resistance to slabbing in that area. Collectors seem suspicious that their coins will be swapped out by the TPGS. Many of the bidders own no Internet accounts. 

At the beginning of my trip home, I drove through downtown Gettysburg. The crowds were magnificent. On the way in Friday night, Siri took me via Maryland Route 77, which is the car route into Camp David.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/15/2024 at 11:42 AM, VKurtB said:

I had marked 9 coins for closer examination. I eliminated 5 of them for various issues, leaving 4 to bid on. I won the bid on 3.

I call this a great success then as events can unfold sometimes leading to making zero acquisitions. And I am sure your coins are very nice considering your discerning demands for making acquisitions for your collection.  (thumbsu

As my age has advanced and my available resources have increased, I have only become more discerning. These guys who run these auctions in York, PA are, to my eye, decent graders. Their auction listings are just that - listings, no pictures. I almost stayed the extra hour to bid on a stunning Gettysburg commemorative half dollar, but I did the cost/benefit analysis of staying and decided to drive through Gettysburg an hour earlier instead. 

On 9/16/2024 at 8:02 PM, Just Bob said:

I have never been to the battlefield at Gettysburg, but it is on my list.

I hope you like monuments. The best parts other than monuments are Little Round Top and where that faces Devil’s Den. The land between is where the Alabama soldiers were decimated by Joshua Chamberlain’s 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment.