• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 "error" coin
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello, found this person on Ebay trying to sell this for $20,000 :)

I've found these before, so what makes them look like this? improper mix of alloys? It almost reminds me of a waffled coin. what do you all think? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285941970775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qa6xokq1tus&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=lajv3irusoy&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'm just curious why they look like this. 

A Woodie...  Uncertified.  Seller does not accept returns... and the head scratcher:  53 people are watching this.  Only ONE available, but ONE person has this in his cart.  Huh?

Nobody is going to shell out 20 thou for this, but it doesn't hurt to set expectations high.  That's where "Or Best Offer" comes in: let the buyers work this out among themselves.

The seller, "qdvd" provides a description written in poor English, and his location, which is not exactly encouraging, is in a prison town in sunny California.

Will this coin sell?  It's hard to say. And this is why I advocate buyers be accompanied by chaperones :  to protect them, from themselves.   🤔 

Note the seller has ZERO previous sales accrued but is selling a purported error coin for $20,000 as a first sale.  :baiting:  :makepoint:        My first sale on eBay was a Pearl Sensitone Brass snare drum with the accompanying original receipt from the initial purchase as brand new. Even back then I was providing the buyer with documentation.

The second thing I note about this listing is the fact that if it were actually an improper alloy mix there would be many more of these cents found over the 40 or so years they have been in existence and I have yet to have seen in my time not a single ONE of them from this date.

The coin looks to me to have been carefully wiped with either paint or some chemical to make it resemble an error coin. I could put money down on a bet that if this particular piece were submitted to NGC that it would return as a details grade for altered surface.

Just so you know what one looks like, here is a waffled coin that I have in my collection.

PXL_20220208_213017923.MP~3.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

On 9/13/2024 at 2:40 AM, powermad5000 said:

.... Just so you know what one looks like, here is a waffled coin that I have in my collection.

PXL_20220208_213017923.MP~3.jpg

Any relation to "kustered" coins?