• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 nickel
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Please provide better images, both of each side of this 2017-P nickel and of the affected area of the reverse. The images should be clear and cropped to eliminate as much as possible the surface surrounding the coin. Please transmit the images directly from your computer. The image of the computer screen is too pixilated to see what is going on with the "O" in MONTICELLO. Here are sample images:

1994-Pspecimennickelobv..thumb.jpg.624712ed8c12ee41b838853483a3b10c.jpg

1994-Pspecimennickelrev..thumb.jpg.8da7cd1cfd5bbf09995512de3bbf276c.jpg

At this point, I will note only that it would be highly unusual, if not unheard of, for a doubled die to affect only a single letter.

Respectfully, my provisional assessment:  Dodo.

Translation:  Ain' nobody gonna try to pull the wool over my eyes with a DDL, i.e., not a doubled-die obverse; not a motto; only a single letter of a name.  I ain' havin' it.  However, being a reasonable person possessed of sound mind, I am open to plausible alibis.  doh!

On 9/11/2024 at 9:43 PM, tina rivera said:

sorry not tryin to fool no one just asking ?

Just pullin' your leg here, Tina. Sandon's observation is true and he has the requisite years of experience to back it up.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I agree that doubling on one letter only on the reverse of your nickel would unfortunately preclude it from being an actual DDR.

To give the benefit of the doubt, I tried to look up DDR 2017 P nickels on Wexlers Die Varieties, and turns out there are over half a dozen very minor varieties for this year and mintmark. Unfortunately, the last O in MONTICELLO is not one of the die markers associated with any of these very minor varieties. From your photos supplied, there is not enough image available to see the necessary features, nor are they clear enough to be able to tell. So I am not going to necessarily shoot the possibility down completely, but it is very unlikely it is a DDR.

On 9/12/2024 at 1:18 AM, powermad5000 said:

.... I am not going to necessarily shoot the possibility down completely, but it is very unlikely it is a DDR.

🐓  :  Agreed.  Say Q, what is the applicable term for a shot across the stern (reverse)?

Q.A.:  There is no formal name as regarding the reverse, but I will suggest "dud," and do so politely.  :whistle: