• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare fact
1 1

11 posts in this topic

good day wvery one... Out of curiousity... I jst found iut that my 1974 quarter dollar coin has an error... And i jst found out that the D mint mark is located near the eagles claw right side facing the coin

IMG_20240911_034408~2.jpg

Can’t really tell anything from that out of focus photo. If you want us to help you,    
you have to help us by posting a clear photo of both sides of the whole coin.  
Also include in your post what you think is an error so that we are not guessing.

On 9/11/2024 at 7:21 AM, Greenstang said:

.... Also include in your post what you think is an error so that we are not guessing.

No guessing needed.  Never claimed it was an ERROR :whatthe:  Merely stated a "RARE FACT."

No guessing needed.  Never claimed it was an ERROR :whatthe:  Merely stated a "RARE FACT."

Henri

You have to read the whole posting. In his write up claims it is an error

I jst found iut that my 1974 quarter dollar coin has an error.

Images of a Washington quarter that you post on this forum should be of each full side, clear and cropped to show as little as possible of the surrounding surface, such as this:

1938quarterobv..thumb.jpg.0c813c014c39d529cfdf51603e99d715.jpg

1938quarterrev..jpg.06516f6eab2bf0800cbeee647c3a20ed.jpg

Never assume that because something about a coin looks "different" to you that it is a mint error! In fact, it is extremely unusual to find any significant mint error in change or in accumulations of common coins. The vast majority of coins posted on these forums by new collectors that are claimed to be "mint errors" are either (1) damaged in distribution or circulation, such as yours, (2) minor anomalies that are quite common and have little or no numismatic value, or (3) perfectly normal coins posted by those who are unfamiliar about what they are supposed to look like. The internet is full of misinformation about this issue, among others pertaining to coins. Please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

In reply to your previous topic, I provided links to two forum topics that identify legitimate print and online resources from which you may learn about U.S. coins and how to collect them. Mint errors are an advanced topic in numismatics, and it is important to first learn more basic subjects, such as the history and types of U.S. coinage, grading, and especially how coins are made. You should also attend such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can view a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

From your photo provided, I cannot provide a solid comment in response to your opening in this thread. The photo is not clear and is way too washed out with light to see what detail you are pointing at.

What I will say and I would say this with no photo at all, just from reading what you wrote, it is not possible at all for the mintmark to move locations to the reverse of this quarter from where it is typically located on the OBVERSE of the coin. For that to happen the D mintmark would have had to be removed from the obverse die and added to the reverse die. If this were truly the case, there would be tens of thousands of these quarters struck in this fashion and it would be a well known variety 50 years after they were struck.

If anything, I would say you have a 1974 (P) Washington Quarter with a hit on the reverse in the shape of a D mintmark in the area you specify which would not be an error and merely qualify as damage. Feel free to post a clear, properly lit and cropped photo if I am wrong.

On 9/11/2024 at 7:21 PM, Greenstang said:

Can’t really tell anything from that out of focus photo. If you want us to help you,    
you have to help us by posting a clear photo of both sides of the whole coin.  
Also include in your post what you think is an error so that we are not guessing.

Sorry becuase its blurred... I dnt have a clear camera... But the D mint mark is jst located near the eagles claw

As explained earlier, the D mintmark cannot be located near the claw, it is impossible.   
There must be some sort of damage that we cannot determine because of the photo.     
If you are going to show photos of coins, you are going to have to find a way of showing    
clearer photos because what you are showing are useless in determining any errors,   
varieties or damage.