• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Roosevelt Dime DDO
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2024 at 7:37 PM, tj96 said:

What the difference between FS-101 and VP-007?

(No comment. Just wanted to say, Hi!)   :hi:

Presumably, these varieties were created by different obverse dies. The descriptions for these varieties on VarietyPlus indicate that each variety shows die doubling in the date and the motto. Only the entry for FS-101 includes an image of the motto for that variety, but there are images of the date for both varieties. The FS-101 shows somewhat stronger doubling on the date numerals in a slightly different direction from the VP-007.    

This is why I generally stick to varieties listed in the Red Book and other major guides, especially for post-1837 coinage. Many of the lesser varieties are difficult to discern and sometimes confusingly similar to each other.

On 9/6/2024 at 10:04 PM, Sandon said:

Presumably, these varieties were created by different obverse dies. The descriptions for these varieties on VarietyPlus indicate that each variety shows die doubling in the date and the motto. Only the entry for FS-101 includes an image of the motto for that variety, but there are images of the date for both varieties. The FS-101 shows somewhat stronger doubling on the date numerals in a slightly different direction from the VP-007.    

This is why I generally stick to varieties listed in the Red Book and other major guides, especially for post-1837 coinage. Many of the lesser varieties are difficult to discern and sometimes confusingly similar to each other.

When you say Red Book you mean CPG?

Agree with @Sandon. One of the coins in my collection has over twenty varieties itself. Too many to have real meaning in my opinion. While the CPG is a fun way to look for varieties, the Red Book is more than enough for my taste.

FWIW:  There is such a coin listed on eBay described as follows:

1963 DDO VP-007 Roosevelt dime, NGC-certified MS-65, Top Pop, only 1 graded for $895.

Lesser grades are listed in the hundreds of dollars.

Unfair Question:  if the coin is fairly well unique at that lofty grade, how is its FMV established?

If other examples come along -- Yes, even 60+ years later, what can their existence expect to do insofar as impacting on price?

On 9/7/2024 at 6:56 AM, Henri Charriere said:

FWIW:  There is such a coin listed on eBay described as follows:

1963 DDO VP-007 Roosevelt dime, NGC-certified MS-65, Top Pop, only 1 graded for $895.

Show me that link.

On 9/7/2024 at 12:31 PM, tj96 said:

Show me that link.

You're kiddin' me!  I thought that's why you posted the Topic.  I Googled it.  It's on eBay: 

"1963 DDO VP-007 Roosevelt Dime NGC."   (thumbsu

On 9/7/2024 at 3:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

You're kiddin' me!  I thought that's why you posted the Topic.  I Googled it.  It's on eBay: 

Edit:  Looks like someone has it in his cart.  The owner is going to be away for two weeks.  NGC MS-65 Top Pop...

On 9/7/2024 at 3:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

No, I'm not kiddin' you!  Like I said; send me the link, if you know how to do that!

On 9/7/2024 at 4:52 PM, tj96 said:

No, I'm not kiddin' you!  Like I said; send me the link, if you know how to do that!

C'mon tj, you know I'm a dinosaur!  What do I know from links.  Just look it up, as Oldhoop used to say, on Google, or whatever.

Type in:  "1963 DDO VP-007 DIME EBAY FOR SALE." 

It'll be the first, second or third listing.

You can do it!