• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the attention of all 83 Set Registrants of French 20-francs gold roosters "restrikes."
1 1

4 posts in this topic

As some of you may have heard, a brouhaha erupted on the West coast concerning collectors of restrikes, or (Refrappes in French) dated 1907 through 1914 exclusive.

I would be willing to bet when you acquired your examples you did so based on year only.

My question is quite simple: How would you distinguish any coin bearing a restrike date, such as 1907, minted in that year, from one minted decades later?

More to the point, how important was that distinction to you when you acquired one? Have you ever specifically requested or insisted that the restrike you were interested in acquiring was one that was minted on the date it bore?

If asked, would you be able to tell the difference between the coin you own, you were simply told was a restrike when you bought it, from an actual one that may have been minted as late as the 1950's or 1960's?

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing.

On 9/5/2024 at 3:12 PM, Henri Charriere said:

As some of you may have a very heard, a brouhaha erupted on the West coast concerning collectors of restrikes, or (Refrappes in French) dated 1907 through 1914 exclusive.

I would be willing to bet when you acquired your examples you did so based on year only.

My question is quite simple: How would you distinguish any coin bearing a restrike date, such as 1907, minted in that year, from one minted decades later?

More to the point, how important was that distinction to you when you acquired one? Have you ever specifically requested or insisted that the restrike you were interested in acquiring was one that was minted on the date it bore?

If asked, would you be able to tell the difference between the coin you own, you were simply told was a restrike when you bought it, from an actual one that may have been minted as late as the 1950's or 1960's?

I know my local friendly McDonald’s has something called frappes, but the idea of them being redone leaves me a little cold. 🥶 I’m going to suggest that of the 83 set registrants, posting this message here is likely reaching precisely zero of them. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/5/2024 at 4:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m going to suggest that of the 83 set registrants, posting this message here is likely reaching precisely zero of them. 

When's the last time you heard from any of them anywhere?  I have been here 5 years and in all that time not a single collector/set registrant has posted a single comment.  All of the press I've gotten was from faithful members like you.  I posted a $500 WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE listing on the Coin Marketplace.  Months later, not a single response.

In addition, their collecting strategies are all WRONG.  Why do you think I wound up on the West coast?  Because they had Europe locked down. Rooster collectors are an odd lot.  They never speak up.  Do not share their thoughts. Do not ask questions. Are apparently very squeamish about placing orders abroad. None of the other coin forums have a topic dedicated to their activities.

What many have done, apparently, is cannibalize encapsulations and have them cross-graded here.  How do I know?  I don't but when the certified census drops over there by 10 points and registrant participation has virtually tripled here since I became a member, you know there has to be an explanation.  There are only a dozen participants out west, and get this -- their sets are private.  It is d--- near impossible to compete with ghosts.

In all these years, I received a guest PM from a member in France who extended me the courtesy of informing me he was bowing out and wanted to know if a specific coin he had would be of interest. It was not. Another guy who wanted to sell me a starred * coin.  I turned him dow .  Upgrading is time-consuming enough without half-schlepping. The only other guy I had heard from assumed I would promptly disband my set after I completed it.  Truth be told, while I am officially retired, I keep my eyes open for suitable upgrades.  I will never be in the class of a Partrick, but I do what I can.

Then P--- broke up the restrikes. Europe decided to revert to their own classification schemes. The pickings are sparce. And gold is way way up.

On 9/5/2024 at 5:27 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Rooster collectors are an odd lot. 

Say it isn't so. I never would have guessed that. :roflmao:From some of your past posts it sounds like they can be mean.

Edited by J P M