• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most fun you ever had collecting? (favorite coin series)

14 posts in this topic

I have enjoyed collecting all series of U.S. coins, but the most memorable one for me is Liberty Seated dimes. I own at least one example of each date and mint except for the very expensive "CC" mints dated from 1871 to 1874. Most of these coins are uncertified and housed in a blue Whitman bookshelf album for that series, now long out of print. They vary in condition but are mostly VF or better. I bought many of the scarcer dates in the 1980s and 90s when they cost much less than they do now, but many of them are still underappreciated.  

In 1996 I bid on a few of the less expensive lots in the first part of the Eliasberg collection auction and was successful on two lots, one of which was the 1859-S Seated dime, a very scarce date. While many of Eliasberg's coins were gems, the 1859-S was graded VF 30 in the catalog and cost $660, a high price at that time. It may have somewhat stronger details but was lightly brushed. The following year I obtained from the Pittman collection auction the 1856-S (Fine or better with a few nicks), another scarce early "S" mint, as well as an 1842 with AU details and vivid toning but lightly burnished and that Pittman had acquired in 1949, mistaking it for a proof. These coins from memorable collections all reside in my blue Whitman album along with many other desirable pieces. 

You can see the NGC and PCGS certified pieces, which include some better dates such as the 1866, 1867 (certified as a proof but based on its die variety a more valuable circulation strike), 1879 and 1885-S in my registry sets at Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com) and Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com).

I toiled for decades collecting U.S. coins exclusively, but then I was gifted a MASSIVE bag of foreign coins. Through that hoard I fell in love with British (and other commonwealth nations by type) shillings. The shilling collection has now gone back as far as George III. It will be an area of concentration until I assume ambient temperature, tomorrow’s expected high temperature notwithstanding. My domestic collecting areas are Buffalo Nickels, earlier Walking Liberty halves, and Classic Commemoratives. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)

I would say the most fun I have had was collecting braided hair half cents.  There are only 8 business strikes, and one variety for each year, so it's a very short and doable set.  While all of the coins are scarce, the lack of popularity makes them readily available.  I would recommend this set to any aspiring copper collector.  For the more advanced collectors, you can add coins with original red/brown color.  Wales can collect proofs.  

I only did the business strikes, but added a few errors and counter stamped coins.  I will likely get a proof at some point, but I cannot collect them all.  They are beyond my budget.  The 1850 is the toughest coin in the set (the 1849 can also be tricky to find nice).

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 2.01.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 2.01.46 PM.png

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Although I enjoy the hunt and the research involved in collecting tokens, and I like searching for the perfect coins for my type set, I have gotten the most pleasure out of filling Whitman and Harris albums with coins removed from circulation. About five years ago, I gathered up all of the pocket change that my wife and I had been putting back for about 25 years - several hundred dollars worth - and started filling album holes. It took me back to my early days of collecting when I was a young boy and could get a thrill out finding an elusive date or mint mark. I am still at it. I don’t roll hunt or buy any coins for this part of my collection. Everything is strictly from pocket change. I still get that same thrill, and it only costs face value. 

Also interesting is that there is not one mention of errors, yet that is all 99.9% of the new posters seem to care about.  While there is nothing wrong with a true collector specializing in errors, there are so many other fascinating facets of the hobby!