• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 D Quarter errors- reeding on collar. Obv and Washington looks like he lost 20 pounds. His neck is super thin. Is that a weak strike? I am unfamiliar with both of these errors. Can someone please help me?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

In the future, please crop your images so that they show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin. They should also be better focused.

It is possible for a coin to show traces of reeding on its rim due to a misaligned die that clashed with the rim of the facing die, a relatively minor mint error. See https://www.error-ref.com/?s=misaligned+collar+clash.  However, I am not sure that is what happened to your 1976-D quarter, which shows a number of nicks and scrapes. The impressions could be from its being scraped or squeezed against another coin after it left the mint.

To the extent that the coin shows weak details, the most likely explanation would be a die filled with foreign matter, generically referred to as "grease". Unless severe, this is regarded as a quality control issue, not a mint error.

The coin is practically 50 years old.  Here, do what I do and dispense with all the endless scrutiny of a product of modern machinery churning out stuff expeditiously under tons of pressure involving moving parts;.

"Time-barred inquiry which has exceeded the 25-year Statute of Limitations."

Case closed.

Next!

On 8/26/2024 at 12:13 PM, Sandon said:

It is possible for a coin to show traces of reeding on its rim due to a misaligned die that clashed with the rim of the facing die, a relatively minor mint error. See https://www.error-ref.com/?s=misaligned+collar+clash.

Is it possible that the misalignment and/or the collar issue contributed to the weakness of the details around the neck of George?

On 8/26/2024 at 5:53 PM, powermad5000 said:

Is it possible that the misalignment and/or the collar issue contributed to the weakness of the details around the neck of George?

Possibly but the most likely explanation from what I see is an overly lapped die.   @DawnAngel1966 at times the die come together without a blank between them and the two dies slam into each other.   This leaves a slight impression of the other die on both called clash marks, to remove this the mint employes will remove the dies and have them polished or lapped to remove these clash marks.   But if done by an over zealous employee or done several times some of the details on the die will begin to disappear.   It is my opinion that is what you see here with the extra space between the neck and the ponytail as well as other areas.

This is not an error, just a poor quality product from low quality dies.   I think that @Sandon is correct in his explanation of the rim issue.

Edited by Coinbuf

Congratulations @Sandon on your 35th hundredth post and Leaderboard status.  No one's "voice" reflects your non-judgmental, even, temperament when engaged with unreceptive members some of whom have been quite contentious.  I believe the  army of lurkers who remain steadfastly unengaged will be encouraged to participate when the right cord in a post you deem quite ordinary, is struck.  Your grasp of the subject matter at hand -- a never-ending cast of characters -- is nothing less than outstanding. Youlr Custom Sets are a labor of love and incomparable.Your regular contributions to the various Forums are most wecome, indispensable, memorable and most illuminating.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderstion.)