• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny lots of errors
1 1

13 posts in this topic

From what I can see from that one picture, it looks like a Dryer Coin which is considered damage, not an error.  Put it on top of another cent and see if the diameter is smaller.

In the future, shoot your photos head on instead of on an angle, this distorts the coin. Also cropping your pictures will increase the size.

Edited by Greenstang

Perhaps I can speed things up. There is a quote attributed to Hermann Goering that roughly translates into:

"When I hear the word "culture," I reach for my gun."

Likewise when I hear the word "error," I reach for my ... "

It appears you have a "Wheatie" and a post "59 "Zincoln."

The chance they, and any others you may have are ERRORS is remote.  But if you can supply photos with sufficient resolution, I will graciously step aside and have our more knowledgeable members exercise the privilege of conveying the bad news to you.

On 8/25/2024 at 5:03 PM, Honestabe91 said:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated 

IMG_20240825_032814.jpg

From what little I can see in your photos this looks damaged, perhaps as already mentioned a dryer coin or maybe spooned.   If you are not familiar with those terms you can do a google search to learn about them.

Edited by Coinbuf

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please don't assume that because a coin looks different from the norm that it exhibits "errors". The vast majority of the coins that people post on this forum claiming to be "errors" are coins like your 1974-D (?) cent that were damaged or altered after they left the mint. Mint errors are limited to occurrences during the production process, while the types of damage that can befall a coin once it enters circulation are infinite. This includes coins like yours that were likely damaged by being caught in dryers or other machinery that cause the edge to be widened. 

Contrary to what you may have read on the internet, it is in fact extremely unusual to find a coin exhibiting a significant mint error in circulation. Please read the following recent article by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Mint errors are an advanced topic in numismatics (the study of coins) that require at least some knowledge of more basic topics, including how coins are made, to comprehend fully. However, to get an idea of what actual mint errors look like and how they occur, please see the following articles on the NGC website:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Various articles on the NGC website in the series entitled "Mint Error Coin Chronicles" (Enter this term in the search bar.)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I simply cannot provide any analysis of the coin(s) in question as the photos supplied here are just not clear nor are they properly cropped. I see more background than coin. I cannot say you do not have an error coin nor can I say you do have an error coin from these photos.

EDIT : What I can comment on is the fact that you need a new scale for weighing coins. Your given weight to the tenth decimal place is not accurate enough for weighing coins. Coins need to be weighed with a scale that reads to the hundredth of a gram (0.01g). Being your given weight is only to the tenth decimal place means the weight could be off by .5g or more depending on if it is calibrated correctly. Scales that only weigh to the tenth decimal place will either round the weight up or down depending on the actual weight of the object.

Edited by powermad5000