• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 quarter mint error or damage?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum

Not quite sure what the arrows are pointing at. All I see  is a quarter with lots of wear.   
I can’t see anything that would be considered an error Please be more specific as to what you are referring to.

Thank you for the welcome! So happy to find a newbie forum. Here are my thoughts, please remember I'm new to this. :)

1. The date is low to the rim

2. The mint mark is completely filled in

3. In God We Trust looks thick, but could just be flattened from wear

4. On Reverse, the letters look like they are missing, but could just be flattened from wear.

I really don't want to post stupid questions. Could you give guidance on where to look and where to NOT look for advice? I'm going through the posts so I'm better aware of what to and not to post. ps... I'm not so good at the snipping tool either. 

Thanks again,

Michelle

Nothing on your quarter that can’t be contributed to wear. The filled in mm is caused by a broken post,    
very common on P and D mint marks. Minor anomolies are not usually caused by errors.  At the top of    
this page is a pinned thread called Basic Resources & Glossary. There isa lot of information and access   
to websites that you should study if you are getting into numismatics. A lot of studying but you can’t learn.  
everything at once.

On 8/19/2024 at 2:37 PM, Michelle Fritter said:

I've spent days looking up post mint damage images and still can't tell if this a mint error or damage. Your feedback will help me better judge the next maybe error I find. Thank you!

Your quarter does not have any mint errors nor does it have any significant post mint damage, it simply well worn from use and time in circulation.   The error part of numismatics is very difficult and really not a good area for beginners unless you have a very good understanding of how coins are made.   However if this is the area that you want to learn about then I suggest that you read, reread, and then read again the website error-ref.com, here is a link.  Linky

Hi there!  :hi:

Danny Downer here.  Rather than fritter away any more valuable time, allow me to suggest looking for errors on coins is akin to Sgt. King appointing [Andy Griffith] as Permanent Latrine Orderly, or P-L-O.  It is punishment work. A prison chain gang, given the choice between breaking rocks and looking for errors on coins, would wisely choose the former. Looking for errors is doing Hard Time.

Thus far, no one has challenged, much less successfully, my Proclamation that you will win this week's Soper Lottery with ease, before you ever find an ERROR.

I gave my stance a fancy retort: "Time-Barred by the [25 year] Statute of Limitations."  Briefly, that means if the coin you are wracking your brain over was NOT minted in this century, it may be any number of things, but most assuredly NOT an ERROR.

CHECK THE PINNED TOPICS AT THE HEAD OF THIS FORUM IF YOU WISH TO SAVE YOURSELF THE EMBARRASSMENT OF SHOWING UP AT A PLUMBING JOB WITHOUT YOUR TOOL CASE.  You get my drift.

All the best!  🐓 

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I don't think I'm going to go down that road as a numismatic. Henry, nice Fritter jab, made me laugh. I think I'll just have fun sorting and looking for anything that looks way off.

Edited by Michelle Fritter

On 8/19/2024 at 7:28 PM, Michelle Fritter said:

I think I'll just have fun sorting and looking for anything that looks way off.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

This statement will lead you down another frustrating road. We have to tell people on here many times that just because it looks different does not mean it is an error nor does it mean it actually is different. What we get is a bunch of damaged coins with the question of "Is this an error and how much is it worth?". 

I would say get good at the basics first. Buy a copy of the Red Book of United States Coins 2025. You can get this book at many coin shops, Hobby Lobby, or online at either eBay or Wizard Coin Supply. It has tons of information that will help you get some of the basics down.

The other thing I would say is look for perfection. Once you are used to seeing perfection, you will much better be able to understand "different" or "way off".

One more thing, we all were new once. And we all had to learn. No question is "stupid" because it is a question that needs an answer. We are volunteers here. At your service! At least I am.