• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Score or not?

18 posts in this topic

Doug,

Thanks for the information... I am aware that these are not worth much unless that is you get into the really low grades G04 and below... then it becomes very rare and garners a big premium... These did not circulate much so that would make it rather rare... If it was a regular grade it would be a 10 buck coin.... but since it is so low.. people actually look for these.. The redbook price for an AU is a bit low... I have seen them for $15.00 at coin shops everywhere.... but as a quick reference it can be a good starting point... I use it all the time...Thanks for the imput...

These did not circulate much so that would make it rather rare

Actually, they did circulate quite a bit. When they weren't sold by the promoters they were dumped into circulation. They can be found in circulated grades with ease. I see rolls of well circulated ones for sale all the time. They just can't be found slick.

Your coin looks like a strong FR-02.

Yes, slick meaning PO-01 or FR-02. This coin wouldn't likely be a "find" to someone collecting these low grade commems. Not a big money find that a PO-01 would bring, but someone will likely pay something for it.

I made a PO-01 several years ago. I turned down $100 for it. I liked it too much. I did end up selling it at $100, but that was only because I like the forum member who was asking for it. It was a Pop 1 at the time. It is now a Pop 2 (possibly higher). I'd guess one would bring $50-$200.

I would grade it FA2 but if you're not lucky it might come back AG3. Heck, I've seen a worse 1796 quarter that also had a deep "X" etched into the obverse and that was slightly bent in a PCGS AG3 holder. I'm serious on that one.

If this coin had been an Hawaiin or some other tough issue then it would have been prohibitively scarce. As it is, Greg has told you the truth in that these were dumped at face value by the thousands from local banks after they did not sell at the $1 premium charged during the fair.

So why not just buy $10 AUs and wear them down then sell them? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would give you fifty cents for it, as long as you deliver it free. crazy.gif

Why anyone would pay a premium for this junk amazes me. makepoint.gif

Soooo....does anyone think this could get the "full boat sail" designation? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

this is the first time i've ever heard of someone saying a coin is worth more because it was circulated hahaha

it's a $15 coin in UNC

the more wear you have the lower it goes... that's just how it works

Not always's, some PPS beat them in a rock polishing drum!