• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice 1865 3-cent silver type coin

11 posts in this topic

If this is a circulation strike, as it appears to be, it is also a legitimately rare coin with an original mintage of 8,000 but most of which were probably melted in 1873, as were most of the silver three cent circulation issues from 1863 through 1872. Over the decades, I've managed to acquire an 1867 (NGC Uncirculated details, scratched and "cleaned"), 1869 (PCGS AU 58) and 1871 (PCGS AU 53) but am unlikely to collect them all. A piece dated from 1859-62 would more likely be acquired as a type coin.

This is a very nice coin! I am sure I cannot currently afford it, but this is a great example of what an uncirculated three cent silver should look like.

[I wonder how many members who caught a glimpse of this coin minutes after it had been posted hoped the one member who ought to see it, would.]  :)

Great stuff!

On 8/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, Dave1384 said:

Nice ? I guess. 
But It’s a horrible design. 

🐓  :  You'd better ask him; I haven't got the guts.

Q.A.:  Alright.  I will... Dave -- it is okay if I call you Dave, isn't it? -- just checking, mind if I ask you what it is about the design you find so "horrible," and whether you are referring to the obverse, reverse -- or both sides?  Enquiring minds, apparently, want to know. You understand.

On 8/15/2024 at 6:17 PM, ldhair said:

I went looking for it on GC but never found it. Really nice coin.

There's a short thread about it on the PCGS board.