• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC mis-graded coins
1 1

7 posts in this topic

To date I have identified 3 coins that NGC has graded that are graded incorrectly, specifically with die errors; has anyone in the Forum experienced this issue?

Feel free to inspect this coin that NGC graded and let me know about your thoughts on the die error where the tail of the A and M (Reverse) are very close in the word "AMERICA"! 6504417-002

image.thumb.jpeg.8774025ff15776025add27a62bd4225a.jpeg 

Whether or not a coin has a "die error" has nothing to do with its grade. A coin's grade is a description of its condition, not whether it can be attributed with a mint error or a die variety. This grade that NGC gave this coin is MS 63 RD.

"Wide AM and "Close AM" (also referred to as "WAM" and "CAM") varieties of certain Lincoln, Memorial reverse cents are characteristics of the dies that struck them from the time the dies were made and are classified as die varieties, not mint errors. See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com). As @powermad5000 has pointed out, all known 1995 circulation strike cents are Close AMs, so there would be no reason to attribute this coin as a Close AM. The issues worth a premium due to one of these varieties and, accordingly, attributable, are 1992 and 1992-D (Close AM), 1998 (Wide AM), 1998-S (Close AM), 1999 (Wide AM), 1999-S (Close AM) and 2000 (Wide AM).

To obtain such attributions, the submitter must usually select "VarietyPlus", on the NGC submission form and pay the additional $18 variety attribution fee as well as the applicable grading fee. Mint error attributions require a separate $18 error attribution fee.

It is interesting that NGC did attribute this coin with a die chip, which is usually regarded as a quality control issue rather than a mint error and, in the terminology used for earlier U.S. coins, a die state. As stated in the previously linked article, "NGC does not recognize as mint error coins those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance. The determination of what constitutes a mint error is at the discretion of NGC." This chip must have been considered significant enough to attribute. 

It would be helpful if you could post clear, cropped images of each full side of this coin.

Edited by Sandon

On 8/15/2024 at 8:22 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

Do you really mean "mis-graded", or rather misattributed?

So neither misgraded nor misattributed. Typical for this message board. 

On 8/13/2024 at 1:00 PM, Engineer15 said:

To date I have identified 3 coins that NGC has graded that are graded incorrectly, specifically with die errors; has anyone in the Forum experienced this issue?

I have not. I have correctly identified all the errors and varieties I have submitted and they have returned as such.

It looks to me like you possibly checked the box for Mint Error when you should have checked the box for Variety Plus. Neither Close Am nor Wide AM are mint errors. They would be varieties.