• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 what would this be called ?

8 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2024 at 7:13 AM, Edwardrich69 said:

Not familiar of the name of this error ? 

IMG_0481.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

Ok, I give up. Can you point out and/or describe what you believe to be an error? 

Well looks like it got struck without its 3rd die which is the retaining collar my partner saying broadstuck but I’m like naw can’t be looks unique just looking for the clarification on this 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please provide better images of both sides of the coin that are cropped to show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin.  Based on the current image, this 1982 large date cent has a well-formed rim and is not broadstruck. The curvature near the rim is an indication of die wear and is often seen on earlier issues of copper plated zinc cents. I can also see plating blisters on this coin, which identify this coin as a 1982 large date zinc. This would be considered a quality control issue, not a mint error, and would not be worth a premium. You are welcome to collect anything that you find interesting.

For examples of broadstrikes, see https://www.error-ref.com/?s=broadstrike.

RE: "1982 what would this be called ?"

The coin pictured is called a 1982 one-cent piece, also colloquially know as a "penny." it is made of copper coated zinc. It's value is one-cent.

On 8/13/2024 at 7:55 AM, Odraudezimemij said:

Well looks like it got struck without its 3rd die which is the retaining collar my partner saying broadstuck but I’m like naw can’t be looks unique just looking for the clarification on this 

Best I can tell from the images is that the rim looks to be fully formed, or nearly so, and relatively even all the way around. I see no signs of this being a broadstrike and the collar was in place when the coin was struck. Could be a slightly misaligned die but the image is of pretty low quality and it's hard to see much detail, if you can post clearer images of the obverse and reverse of the coin that would help.