• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foreign Coin Identification And Rarity #1
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I found this coin in a collection I had in storage. Not sure which country this is from. Does anyone have one, or know what this is? Also, did a ping test just out of curiosity, and it kinda sounded like silver. The rim is a colored silver. (see Photos) Does anyone know if this is worth anything? It's hard to research what it is without knowing what its called. Thanks

img1 (3).jpg

img1 (2).jpg

img1 (1).jpg

On 8/12/2024 at 5:12 PM, Coin & Bullion Collector said:

Hello,

I found this coin in a collection I had in storage. Not sure which country this is from. Does anyone have one, or know what this is? Also, did a ping test just out of curiosity, and it kinda sounded like silver. The rim is a colored silver. (see Photos) Does anyone know if this is worth anything? It's hard to research what it is without knowing what its called. Thanks

img1 (3).jpg

img1 (2).jpg

img1 (1).jpg

It’s Thai.

On 8/12/2024 at 6:22 PM, Coin & Bullion Collector said:

.... I'm Guessing it's not worth anything then.  

My friend, this is not an acceptable way to refer to another country's coin and currency.  There are members here who collect them.  You would get more mileage out of your comments if you were to politely point out the preferred (correct) way to display reeding on a coin (which implies precious metal content) is by holding it on opposite sides of its edge with a thumb and forefinger.

Per my 2010 edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000, these coins were composed of copper nickel, minted from 1962-82 without a change in the date, with a total mintage of over 883 million pieces, and a value of 50 cents uncirculated. (The NGC World Coin Price Guide yields no information.) 

Notwithstanding the low value of this particular coin, you should never hold a coin you want to collect in your bare hands, except by its edges if you must. Skin oils can cause discoloration.

On 8/12/2024 at 6:50 PM, Sandon said:

Per my 2010 edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000, these coins were composed of copper nickel, minted from 1962-82 without a change in the date, with a total mintage of over 883 million pieces, and a value of 50 cents uncirculated. (The NGC World Coin Price Guide yields no information.) 

Notwithstanding the low value of this particular coin, you should never hold a coin you want to collect in your bare hands, except by its edges if you must. Skin oils can cause discoloration.

Unless your skin is as dry as the flatulence of the desert cat.

On 8/12/2024 at 5:12 PM, Coin & Bullion Collector said:

Also, did a ping test just out of curiosity, and it kinda sounded like silver.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL PEOPLE STOP DOING THIS????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!