• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955s Lincoln cent - the COOLEST S/T retained since Saturday
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Ok

wow  I hope the hits keep coming...  on Saturday I posted a bullet in Lincolns head with a 1955s cent.  It was a foul ball though and I never even got on base...

Today I submit a new addition to my S/T retained wanna be errors.

Ladies and gentlemen please welcome my second try at a valuable error coin:}

1st.png

1000004498.jpg

1000004499.jpg

You might want to change the title, as the posted coin is a 1942 Lincoln cent. You should be able to do this if you edit your topic, by while you are logged in choosing "Edit" from the menu under the three dots under your initial post. The coin has deep gouges received during its extensive time in circulation and is not a mint error. (What type of mint error did you think it is?)

Very few coins exhibiting significant mint errors are found in circulation or among random accumulations of coins. I have been collecting coins and checking change and accumulations of coins for over 53 years and have never found any error or other coin worth more than a few dollars in that way. I only know one collector who has ever found such a coin, another lifetime collector who a few decades ago received an uncirculated cent overstruck by nickel dies--presumably from a new roll--in change at a grocery store, which is worth a few hundred dollars. This is at best a once in a lifetime event. The vast majority of coins that new or casual collectors think are "mint errors" are damaged coins or coins with minor anomalies that have little or no market value.

To learn about types of actual mint errors and how they occur, see, for example, the following:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Additional articles on the NGC website under the heading "Mint Error Coin Chronicles" (Use the Search bar on the "News" tab of the NGC website.)

The website error-ref.com provides a comprehensive listing and discussion of mint error types.

Well you are correct that the hits kept coming, that is hits from a screwdriver blade.  doh!   Not trying to dissuade you from your path, but errors may not be your strong area of numismatics.

On 8/12/2024 at 4:10 PM, Kevine84 said:

Ok

wow  I hope the hits keep coming...  on Saturday I posted a bullet in Lincolns head with a 1955s cent.  It was a foul ball though and I never even got on base...

Today I submit a new addition to my S/T retained wanna be errors.

Ladies and gentlemen please welcome my second try at a valuable error coin:}

Kevine84:   As a fellow Newbie I understand the rush of hoping to find treasure.  Then comes the agony of reality.  The best thing you can do is take a pause and READ the very informative reference material that Sandon supplied, then scroll back through old posts here.  You will see multiple examples of what is NOT an error. Don't watch hundreds of You Tube videos ( there are a few reputable ones ).  Weed out your obviously damaged coins - keep them as oddities if you like.  Then when you learn what to look for you can have lots of fun on the hunt. 

Ok here goes

I have 54 files to upload so you can see better.

First off it is true that my skills and knowledge are less than your - that i8as why I am here.  Be that as it may, I would assume a screw driver or cutting blade would leave an impression in a coin when it was applied with force.  The mistake with that assumption is the fact that every one of these items you see are EXTRUSIONS,  Not only that, they are on top of the coin for the lengths you see but then they go beneath the surface and then come up on to of the surface once again and repeat or end.  When they reach the end of the segment they either expand somewhat or finish under the surface.  They are clearly not cut into the penny.   At the ends end when they are on surface of the coin and they are obviously threading in and of the coin.

PXL_20240812_210654402~2[1].jpg

So let's please hold on while I provide more data.  I do not quit understand how this happened but until you have the facts you are rushing to judgement and calling the Op- less than intelligent things.

I      

On 8/12/2024 at 2:52 PM, Kevine84 said:

So let's please hold on while I provide more data.  I do not quit understand how this happened but until you have the facts you are rushing to judgement and calling the Op- less than intelligent things.

I      

More data is not needed, you are wrong or way over thinking this, you do not have a mint error.   But you ae welcome to send your coin in to NGC, pay your money and get back your damaged coin in a details slab.   It will be a monumental waste of your money but clearly that is what you need to be convinced.

image.png.10377ea7373468833de971e282e00fb2.png

Your coin does not have protrusions it has indentions and cuts from something that was hammered/beat into the metal.

Kevine.  
I think before you post any more of your “error” coins you had better do some studying as you have no sense as to what constitutes an error. There is a pinned thread at the top of this page called “ Basic Resources and Glossary” that has many websites on coins.  Learn how coins are produced and what constitutes an error before you waste any more of your time looking at obvious damaged coins. It is almost impossible these days to find a true error in pocket change. About 99.99% of them are just damage such as you have been presenting.

On 8/12/2024 at 3:58 PM, Coinbuf said:

image.png.10377ea7373468833de971e282e00fb2.png

Your coin does not have protrusions it has indentions and cuts from something that was hammered/beat into the metal.

Want \o bet?  I used exactly the right word.

On 8/12/2024 at 3:21 PM, Kevine84 said:

Want \o bet?  I used exactly the right word.

Let us know when you get some new glasses.

On 8/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, EGH49 said:

Kevine84:   As a fellow Newbie I understand the rush of hoping to find treasure.  Then comes the agony of reality.  The best thing you can do is take a pause and READ the very informative reference material that Sandon supplied, then scroll back through old posts here.  You will see multiple examples of what is NOT an error. Don't watch hundreds of You Tube videos ( there are a few reputable ones ).  Weed out your obviously damaged coins - keep them as oddities if you like.  Then when you learn what to look for you can have lots of fun on the hunt. 

Good post 

There are intrusions, extrusions, and protrusions.

What you seem to be characterizing as "protrusions" is simply metal that was pushed aside in the wake of a traumatic "intrusion."

If you were to try this with a side of beef, there is enough softer, liquid, spongy mass to absorb the intrusion.  On metal, there is no place for it to go so it is simply pushed aside.

Rely on the training you were given in the class on "Flight characteristics and staining patterns of human blood." The sharp instrument used entered the LHC on the left and terminated it's unauthorized intrusion on the right where the width of the blade ended its journey pushing aside the metal as prominently exhibited on both sides of the rupture as thicker mounds.

You can try this at home.

No, don't try this at home or anywhere else!

Just examine the photographic evidence you yourself provided.

Note how your 1942 cent shows displaced metal around the indentations, which is indicative of post-mint damage. This is quite unlike the 1955-D cent struck through a staple (which was retained) yet shows no displaced metal around the staple because metal displaced by the staple was pressed down by the surrounding die surface as the coin was struck. Note also that the error coin is in an uncirculated grade, as are most significant error coins, which are noticed and withdrawn before they pick up circulation wear.

If you still believe that your coins are mint errors, you can post them for comment on the CONECA forum (https://board.conecaonline.org/forum) or can ask Jon Sullivan, a well-regarded dealer who specializes in mint errors, for an opinion at https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/.  Both CONECA and Mr. Sullivan will also examine the actual coins for a fee that is lower than what a grading service would charge for grading and error attribution.

On 8/12/2024 at 9:25 PM, Sandon said:

Note how your 1942 cent shows displaced metal around the indentations, which is indicative of post-mint damage. This is quite unlike the 1955-D cent struck through a staple (which was retained) yet shows no displaced metal around the staple because metal displaced by the staple was pressed down by the surrounding die surface as the coin was struck.

This is the only part of the noise you need to read @Kevine84. This says it all.

EDIT : I will add it is not possible for an object to be "threaded" through the metal of a raw planchet and come to the surface in certain areas of it.

Edited by powermad5000

On 8/12/2024 at 10:25 PM, Sandon said:

.....Note also that the error coin is in an uncirculated grade, as are most significant error coins, which are noticed and withdrawn before they pick up circulation wear....

Ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I have tried to provide a rationale for introducing a concept, here defined brilliantly by a member who understood instinctively what it was I was driving at when I summarily dismissed a litany of claims of ERROR, made mostly by Newbies, as "Time-Barred by the 25-year Statute of Limitations."  I, myself, had nothing concrete to base my conjecture on but this much I know, any theory advanced by a member who chooses to use the cartoon-like moniker Quintus Arrius or Henri Charriere will be rejected, but reworded and made more articulable by the likes of a Sandon will be acknowledged if not accepted. In a single line he has managed to bring to life an assertion I do not believe most members, particularly those who are new to the hobby, could otherwise understand.  :golfclap: