• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if a die variety is the result of a doubled working hub
1 1

48 posts in this topic

I recently submitted 10 coins that I recovered from an original bank roll. All ten were double dies and the doubling was identical. I now realize that the polish markings differ on some of the coins and only one of the varieties are recognized by NGC. Im attributing this to what has to be a doubled working hub. Any idea how this would affect my submission?

I know they don't attribute master die doubling, but I am not sure about working hub doubling. I can't remember ever seeing it on a label, though. Calling customer service may be your best option.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

NGC will only attribute die varieties that are listed on NGC VarietyPlus, which includes coins listed in certain widely accepted references. See What is a Variety? | NGC (ngccoin.com).  (An exception might be made for a significant new discovery.) If your coins are not so listed, NGC will still grade and encapsulate them without an attribution but will retain the $18 per coin VarietyPlus fee for the time and attention required for its attributors to examine the coins.

It is important to understand the policies of a grading service before submitting coins to that service, as well as to have sufficient knowledge that the submitted coins are likely to have sufficient value to be worth submitting.

Are you sure that the coins you submitted were doubledie varieties? Most of the coins posted on this forum that are claimed to have been struck from doubled dies are in fact pieces that exhibit strike (a.k.a. machine or mechanical) or other common, "worthless" forms of doubling.

Without photos of at least one of the purported coins, there is no way to tell if the OP is looking at strike/mechanical/die deterioration doubling versus true hub doubling. The thing with working hub doubling is the working dies produced from it would all have this doubling on it so I would then say the amount of coins produced from it would be prolific.

Yes just about 40 of the coins were doubled. I submitted the 10 best ones. They are 1964 10c some are DDO blunt 9 fs101. I would say maybe 5 but no more than 10 of them. The rest have the same doubling attributes different die attributes. Came from the same bank roll. 

Are these Denver mint? Because if these are Philadelphia mint, that would be why then. NGC doesn't have a Variety Plus listing for a 1964 P DDO Roosevelt Dime.

On 8/12/2024 at 1:43 PM, Jsweeney72 said:

They are 1964 10c some are DDO blunt 9 fs101.

I also don't see anywhere in NGC Variety Plus a listing for any 1964 (P or D) with the FS-101 designation. If it is not listed on the NGC Variety Plus page, then NGC does not recognize the variety and will not attribute it.

On 8/12/2024 at 2:50 PM, Jsweeney72 said:

IMG_7508.png

Your coin does not match the NGC FS101, your coin is not a proof and is just strike doubled.

On 8/12/2024 at 4:54 PM, Jsweeney72 said:

I appreciate you looking at it by the way. Being new…. The struggle is real lol

What PRECISELY is “The Struggle”?

On 8/12/2024 at 4:57 PM, Jsweeney72 said:

*ms

There are 3,950,762 1964 (P) proofs and 929,360,000 non-proofs. 

On 8/12/2024 at 4:58 PM, Jsweeney72 said:

1964 D’s are not proofs

Yes, that’s right. There are 1,357,517,180 of those bad boys.