• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 quarter error
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your coin is not an error coin. The reverse lettering of a Lincoln Memorial Cent shows a cent was forced into the surface of this quarter with something additional put on one side which caused the severe distortion of the Washington Quarter. This is otherwise known as a vise job where two or more coins are put into a bench vise and squeezed into each other. This is not an error and now with the severe damage, has zero value. With less damage, this could still have face value of 25 cents but with this level of damage, I highly doubt a merchant would accept this as payment. It is now scrap metal.

It seems you may have been misled that you can find significant error coins in circulation which is simply just not the case. I suggest as part of my response, you read the following article by Jeff Garrett.

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics

But, but... the cent planchet had no business being on the quarter-dollar conveyor belt. It may not be a Mint error but human beings man the machines:  it's human ERROR, No?