• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955s Lincoln cent - the COOLEST and most sobering S/T retained ever
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I found the most interesting cent today  

A one-of-a-kind, super eerie coin with what looks like a die tool of some kind but it looks like a bullet entering the coin through exactly the G in GOD.  there's additional noise on he opposite rim but the imagery here is stunning.

if anyone who is more familiar with these kinds of things wants to help me understand potential value I'm grateful to listen.

PXL_20240811_043958660.jpg

PXL_20240811_044030501~2.jpg

PXL_20240811_044108252~2.jpg

PXL_20240811_043958660~2.jpg

Blasphemous, sacrilegious, heretical... but it's beauty is undeniable.  This is what happens when someone is so used to being around Wheaties, he wouldn't think it would be truly valuable one day, so he decides to undertakes a series of experiments on it.

A nail is not a die tool.  I am tring to figure out the motive here.  Even the smallest calibre bullet doesn't fit the fill.

I am not going to hazard a guess as what such a coin may be wiorth now, but I won't be happy if anyone dares to say the price of it lies on its copper bullion content.

My back-story is, "You're not going to believe this, but this coin saved my life!"  Just make sure it sounds plausible and effect a sense of wide-eyed wonderment and suspense!

I defy all comers who would wag their tongues in noise so rude against you!  And we can plainly see it has been "damaged."  

Thank you for not suggesting it is NOT an error.  If the bored guy had a girlfriend, I seriously doubt she would heve been unable to talk him out of doing this.  A criyin' shame all around... unless the back-stiry holds!

Thanks for brightening up my morning here on the East coast.

Without examining it in hand, I would have to say that is purposely done. There is no way during the minting process that an object could enter through the edge of the rim. The fact that it protrudes beyond the rim shows that it would not fit in the collar.  Keep as a novelty but it has no numismatic value. 

Well maybe someone will want the curiosity.  I found these packed with it. Maybe they will be worth something.

Thanks

PXL_20240811_151834884~2.jpg

Those are common 1943 steel cents. Probably worth 25-50 cents each.

You should really start a new thread for each coin as it gets confusing with more than one at a time.

Being the first coin in the post is a 1955 S, even in its nice red color and otherwise good condition, it has basically been reduced to 3 cents scrap value by way of physical damage. It is really hard to explain sometimes why people do what they do to otherwise nice coins.

The steelies look to be in good shape but those have to grade quite high (beyond MS 65) to gain any real premium.