• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error Dime 1944
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a copy that has multiple errors. Note the number 8 behind the number 4 in the date, as well as other errors. Is this valuable, how much is it worth, and is it worth documenting? Thank you.

4C1862D5-D132-4075-AB14-6565CC25867E.jpeg

74C07B1D-EDEC-4F8E-8171-1793355A5800.jpeg

Based on this and your previous topics, you appear to believe that if something looks unusual about a coin, it is a mint error. In fact, significant mint errors are rarely found among circulating coins or random accumulations of coins. The types of errors that can occur during the production of coins are limited, while the types of damage and alterations that can occur to coins after they leave the mint are infinite. 

You may benefit from the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

To learn about types of actual mint errors and how they occur, see, for example, the following:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Additional articles on the NGC website under the heading "Mint Error Coin Chronicles" (Use the Search bar on the "News" tab of the NGC website.)

The website error-ref.com provides a comprehensive listing and discussion of mint error types.

[ If this topic and this Forum proves anything, it is I no longer have the socially-acceptable temperament necessary to absolutely positively respond to questions posed by new members in a civil manner, HENCE... for the good of all, this will be my last appearance here. ]  Sat., 08/10/2024, 22:22 hours. 

On 8/10/2024 at 9:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

[ If this topic and this Forum proves anything, it is I no longer have the socially-acceptable temperament necessary to absolutely positively respond to questions posed by new members in a civil manner, HENCE... for the good of all, this will be my last appearance here. ]  Sat., 08/10/2024, 22:22 hours. 

Its ok QA. I'll take over from here.  :preach: