• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats up with this coin?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Screenshot_20240810-113751_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1ccd9147e74b00ab4e20797b14090c2c.jpgHello and thank you for taking the time to help me identify this 2007 D Utah state quarter.  It looks to me that it was struck on a defective planchet.  Drooling George? Clad error? 

Been collecting little over three years. I love it. Wish I could have started 30 years ago.  Thanks for helping! See you later.   -Du$tin

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your quarter exhibits a good degree of environmental damage. It is not a mint error and I see no issue with the cladding on it. As for "Drooling George", I cannot see if there is a small die chip, but if there is then this is another cutesy duetsy Youbee Tubee nickname for a scammer to try to add purported value to a coin when there is no premium attached to a quality control issue. Die chips are not errors and do not add any premium to any coin exhibiting one.

It seems you may have been misled by incorrect information from the internet of which there is more bad information than good. It would behoove you to read the following article by Jeff Garrett.

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The outer layers of clad dimes and quarters since 1965 and half dollars since 1971 are composed of an alloy of 75% copper and only 25% nickel. Nickels are entirely composed of this alloy. This alloy darkens through chemical reactions to dark red or black when the coin is exposed to certain environments, such as when it is buried in the ground. This is likely what happened to your coin. It exhibits environmental damage and has no collector value.

From what print and online sources have you been getting your information about coins? Coin collecting is most enjoyable when you have correct information.