• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 S Roosevelt dime
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a 1954 S Roosevelt dime. It's missing the "JS", was pressed with a cracked die,  also has some doubling around the edges.  Not sure if that doubling is normal. 

I was wondering if this is worth getting graded.  I'm pretty new to coin collecting. Any info is greatly appreciated. 

Screenshot_20240729_195637_Gallery.thumb.jpg.22fb0e5273f180510159bacfdb27bcca.jpg

Screenshot_20240729_195931_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240729_195816_Gallery.jpg

You'll spend more on getting the grade, paying for shipping,  and paying to have the attribute done than you will ever be able to recover and profit. Best bet is to assess and assign a value to it yourself, and either keep it,  or list it raw with those mentioned. Might sit for a awhile, but there is someone out there for it that would eventually buy it.  This is my opinion. I have had coins graded myself that are at a loss, but they are for me,  and not for reselling. At the end of the day,  it is your preference. 

On 8/9/2024 at 12:41 PM, Numisdoclaw said:

You'll spend more on getting the grade, paying for shipping,  and paying to have the attribute done than you will ever be able to recover and profit. Best bet is to assess and assign a value to it yourself, and either keep it,  or list it raw with those mentioned. Might sit for a awhile, but there is someone out there for it that would eventually buy it.  This is my opinion. I have had coins graded myself that are at a loss, but they are for me,  and not for reselling. At the end of the day,  it is your preference. 

Very nicely put. (thumbsu

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

For future reference, please crop your photos so that they show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin.

As others have indicated, coins struck from filled or worn dies dies--on your coin the designer's initials are weak and not even missing--and die cracks are quite common and generally not attributable by NGC as either die varieties or mint errors. "NGC does not attribute as varieties coins that display . . . insignificant die chips, breaks or cracks, or any variety coin that falls under mint tolerances for doubling or normal die wear."  See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com).

As someone who is "pretty new to coin collecting", you should not be considering sending coins to third-party grading services. Only pieces worth at least several hundred dollars apiece are worth submitting. Unless you have sufficient knowledge of how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself and can identify such pieces, you will likely waste a great deal of money. Your time and money would be much better spent learning about coins from legitimate print and online forum topics, such as those identified in the following forum topics:

You should also attend such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can examine a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers.

On 8/9/2024 at 1:38 PM, Sandon said:

on your coin the designer's initials are weak and not even missing

I was going to say I was a little confused as I see the initials although they are weak, they are still present.