• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding my 1909 S Lincoln Cent
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was examining my 1909 S Lincoln cent making sure it was not a VDB, and I see what looks to be a die crack just above where the VDB would have been on the obverse. Can you guys take a look?IMG_5224.thumb.jpeg.3a27c8e93309a24f24b3e3eee1515bf1.jpeg

IMG_9468 (1).jpg

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9468.jpg

IMG_5224.jpeg

There is a lot of heavy scratches on the reverse. Even if that is a minor die crack, it wouldn't add any premium to the cent and is not a major feature.

Seriously, you have extensive lacerations between the bottom of the right wheat stalk and the rim -- with a sliver of metal overlaying the lower extremity of the stall, and you are mesmerized by both shadow and substance in the TZ.  I decree this to be an '09-S, missing VDB.

It is not a die crack as that would be raised, this is incuse.   It is, as surmised by @Sandon likely an old toned over scratch, that makes the most sense as it is next to some damage.   The other possibility is a lamination fault, but I cannot definitively tell from the photos.

Edited by Coinbuf