• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JAMES MONROE DOLLAR COIN WITH WRONG DATE SAYS 2003 SUPPOSE TO SAY 2008
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Got this coin as a mistake in change given back to me they gave it to me as a quarter I clearly see it says 2003 on the edge of the coin but is suppose to be 2008 the die did not make an 8  is this coin worth anything with the wrong date on it? My cell cam is a cheap one an cannot focus on the date

Not really worth a premium. The edge lettering is put on at a different stage and machine and there are many minor anomolies. The only ones worth any premium are ones with no edge lettering

Hello and welcome!

On 7/29/2024 at 9:42 AM, Dan Theman said:

Got this coin as a mistake in change given back to me they gave it to me as a quarter I clearly see it says 2003 on the edge of the coin but is suppose to be 2008 the die did not make an 8  is this coin worth anything with the wrong date on it? My cell cam is a cheap one an cannot focus on the date

Without a photo we really can't say much about what happened. What you need to know is the date is not on the die. The edge lettering and date on these dollar coins is made by the collar that holds the planchet while it is being struck. The dies only strike the flat obverse and reverse. It is possible that the collar did not fully close in the area of the date. Even if this numeral is not fully imparted into the edge of the coin, as far as I know the only edge issues in that dollar series that command any kind of premium are for those missing the edge lettering entirely, or the ones with double edge lettering that overlaps.

I call BS!  I do not believe in "mistakes."

For that matter, if it were simply a mistake in numismatics, they why isn't a gargantuan "mistake" like Inverted Jenny's Air Mail stamps similarly referred to in disparaging terms in philately instead of being hawked  on auctions sites for gazillions of dollars?

Nope, sorry!  A mistake is a typo on an insert in an encapsulated product. THAT'S A MISTAKE!  This is a bona-fide ERROR!  Not a metallic key on paper, BUT METAL ON METAL.

Easy to invent a credible alibi when you don't own one.  And who's to say what its FMV is?

I want to go on record as stating in no uncertain terms that this member has discovered something of numismatic relevance and significance.

if this happened today -' I know how agencies of the USG work -- they would politely request (DEMAND) its return and if the collectors stands his ground, pump out a few million more.

AYE or NAY?

Henri  Charriere responds unconditonally, definitively and unequivocally with a resounding Aye!  It's a legitimate error which falls well within the Statute of Limitations.

I  did not like the coins, do not and never will like the coins, but I'll be d----d if I allow this injustice to stand.  :sumo:

Without a photo we really can't say much about what happened. What you need to know is the date is not on the die. The edge lettering and date on these dollar coins is made by the collar that holds the planchet while it is being struck. The dies only strike the flat obverse and reverse. It is possible that the collar did not fully close in the area of the date. Even if this numeral is not fully imparted into the edge of the coin, as far as I know the only edge issues in that dollar series that command any kind of premium are for those missing the edge lettering entirely, or the ones with double edge lettering that overlaps.

Have too disagree, the lettering is not on the collar, if it was on the collar, you would not have two different orientations. The edge lettering is applied by an Edge-Incusing Machine after the coins are struck . The coins are actually rolled onto the die.This can cause a variation in the pressure which allows for lighter struck coins. This is normal in the striking of the edge lettering. I believe is is just for the first 15 presidents but I could wrong there.

And just to be clear before someone corrects me, I am referring to business strikes only. Proof dollars have the copy on the collar so the orientation is always the same.

Edited by Greenstang
correct typo

On 7/29/2024 at 1:30 PM, Greenstang said:

And just to be clear before someone corrects me, I am referring to business strikes only. Proof dollars have the copy on the collar so the orientation is always the same.

This is a VERY key point. 

On 7/29/2024 at 1:30 PM, Greenstang said:

Have too disagree, the lettering is not on the collar, if it was on the collar, you would not have two different orientations. The edge lettering is applied by an Edge-Incusing Machine after the coins are struck . The coins are actually rolled onto the die.This can cause a variation in the pressure which allows for lighter struck coins. This is normal in the striking of the edge lettering. I believe is is just for the first 15 presidents but I could wrong there.

You are correct. My bad. I was thinking of proofs for some reason. 

We still would need to see a photo of this in order to make any kind of real determination. Is that fair to say? This would be akin basically to buying a coin over the internet sight unseen and trusting that what is being told is in fact the case. Depending on a proper photo of this we may have a good explanation for it.

On 7/31/2024 at 10:07 PM, Halbrook Family said:

God I hate edge lettering. Maybe I'm getting old  and it's more of a pain in the . 

I don't mind it on say Capped Bust Halves with the lettered edge, but on modern stuff where I have to roll the coin around and look at the edge just to see the date, I find that annoying.

Edited by powermad5000