• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to this. Are these worth anything?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Are these worth anything? Should I bother with getting them graded? 1960 D large date penny 

IMG_5060.jpeg

Edited by P kessel

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

1960-D large date cents were hoarded in uncirculated condition in numerous 50-coin rolls and 5,000-coin bags and are very common.  Even uncirculated pieces with full original mint red color are generally worth no more than a few dollars apiece retail. It isn't possible to make any assessment of the condition of these coins from a group photo, but only a superb gem uncirculated piece grading at least MS 67 RD--perhaps one uncirculated coin out of many thousands--would be worth the cost of submitting to a third-party grading service, which is what I assume you mean by "getting them graded". Just the minimum applicable (Economy tier) NGC grading fee alone would be $23 per coin, and that doesn't include a $10 per order processing fee and a minimum $28 per order return shipping fee and your cost of shipping them to NGC.    

Only coins worth at least several hundred dollars each should be considered for submission to third party grading services. Before you even think about submitting coins to grading services, you need to learn how to grade and otherwise evaluate them yourself, a process which will take at least several years. Less valuable pieces--or even more valuable ones, if you prefer--can be collected in coin albums or other appropriate holders. (The coins in your photo don't appear to have been properly stored.)

Please refer to the following topics from which you can obtain print and online resources from which you can learn about U.S. coins and how to collect them:

Your education should also include attendance at such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can examine a variety of coins and speak with experienced collectors and dealers.

On 7/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, P kessel said:

Are these worth anything? Should I bother with getting them graded?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

With a mintage of 1,580,884,000 for the 1960 D Large Date Lincoln Memorial Cent, as already stated by Sandon, you would need to have specimens in full gem BU RD (red color and minimum MS 67), and the way these are stored, I could just about guarantee, the best grade possible on the best one would be MS 65 RD which at current is listed as $15 in the price guide. That figure, however is for one that is numerically graded by a major TPG, meaning the original submitter already lost money having it graded. In raw format as your coins are, a dealer most likely would not even wish to purchase these, especially by the way they are stored. You might be able to sell them for a couple dollars each on eBay for the ones that look better in the group of 4 but I would expect it would take probably a couple years to sell them. Too many of these were stored in rolls and hoarded when they were first minted.

I would not have any of them professionally graded. Any of them make nice album fillers and I would at a minimum obtain some 2x2 cardboard flips and store them individually. You can get these flips at Wizard Coin Supply online or any Hobby Lobby store. Do these coins a favor and get them away from being next to those staples and each other. You can staple the cardboard flips, but keep the staples away from the coin and more toward the outer edges of the flip. When those staples rust the way they are currently shown, it will surely affect the coins the way they are now.