• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921D Morgan Dollar
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hey Mr. Bill! Hope everything is well!

I agree that for whatever reason, the 1921 (P), D, and S are holding some value and I am not sure if it is due to demand as these were cheaper years ago than getting one from 1904 and before so people coming in the hobby flocked to these as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive ones in the series (although some of the common 1880 and 1881 (P) can be gotten for just as cheap in great condition).

Well, on this one, I have to say I am happy you didn't pay any more than you did for it, and I am sad to say it looks cleaned to me. Also, the reverse has a rim ding that even if this coin was in fantastic shape, that ding would greatly limit its grade potential. The wreath has loss of detail in some of it which I believe to be from striking issues with this particular date but without a fully detailed wreath, I know these don't grade high. The obverse has a few hits noticeably below the eye, at the top of the nose and in the field to the left of the face. The obverse overall has good details. I am just sharing with you what I look at specifically for this year of the Morgan series as the 1921 has different striking issues than the rest of the series. If I am not mistaken, the original dies for the series were lost or destroyed some time after the series ended in 1904 and the 1921 dies were created new for that one year of re-release.

Greetings, Mr.Bill347!

I seriously doubt any of the "defects" in surface preservation evaded you or your bird's eye.  Taken as a whole, there is only one thing that militates strongly against noting them, much less emphasizing them.  If silver was where it once once, we may have considerations.  But with spot silver at a fairly strong high, meeting resistance at a level I never thought I would live a.long enough to see, the details become academic.  Right now, if you were so inclined, you could not pick up a silver as fine as yours at the price you paid.

I believe you have done very well!  Is anyone aware how close that $35. is to current spot -- and I haven't seen or heard of any prognostications suggesting anything but silver champing at the bit to go higher.  All the best!   ^^