• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying I think it was a bonding error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I found this 1981 penny and thought it was just damaged but the more I looked at it to me seemed like a bonded penny any information on what it could be bonded with or value??IMG_1060.thumb.jpeg.b8b3ebb3e54085f048bf24276d0f4343.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board. Please note that the "NGC Registry" forum is for topics related to the NGC certified coin registry. Questions about coins should be posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum. (The Administrator will likely move your topic appropriately.)

The term "bonding error" applies to clad coins, such as post-1965 dimes, quarters and half dollars composed of different layers of metal that are bonded together. 1981 cents were composed of a homogeneous (solid) alloy of 95% copper, 5% zinc and cannot be subject to a "bonding error". See https://www.error-ref.com/?s=bonding+mill+.

Although solid alloy coins can show streaks due to uneven mixture of the alloy, your coin simply shows severe damage, perhaps from being crushed by motor vehicles on a rough roadway, as well as corrosion, perhaps from being buried in damp soil thereafter. 

Many newer collectors confuse damaged coins with mint errors. See the following article recently posted by a leading coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think the OP has the thought @Sandon that it is possibly two coins bonded together or that there is another substance bonded to the coin.

To the OP, I do not see anything fused to the coin. I see a severely damaged coin that was possibly also subject to some level of heat which caused the surface to bubble up a little bit.

Trust your first impression. :)

This and any similarly mutilated coin is worthless.

On 7/24/2024 at 3:50 PM, Just Bob said:

Is that the best username you could come up with?

I suspect she may hail from New York City where women by law are permitted to appear in public, topless. They have a parade commemorating passage of the law every year; where men parade around in T-shirts, reading: "I AM NOT A GYNECOLOGIST BUT I'LL TAKE A LOOK; Gay men holding hands wearing matching T-shirts, reading: "WE WILL TRADE YOU OUR HOMOPHOBES FOR YOUR MIGRANTS; and young women wearing tops that read:  "KEEP YOUR ROSARIES OFF MY OVARIES!"

It's no big deal.  I live here.  And you see how well I turned out. :whatthe:

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct misspellings.

On 7/24/2024 at 8:11 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I suspect she may hail from New York City where women by law are permitted to appear in public, topless. They have a parade commemorating passage of the law every year

When is the next parade? xD :roflmao:

What the heck is a “bonding error”? I never heard of it. Bail bond? Municipal? Treasuries?

Edited by VKurtB