• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2007 P Kentucky Quarter super odd
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have seen improperly annealing and clipped planchets but this takes the cake. This looks like the planchet was nearly clipped and there are parts of the motto E Pluribus Unum on the obverse as well as some concave areas. I really don't know. 20240723_192705.thumb.jpg.824472ed30fb36c05962d72226f664e1.jpg20240723_192847.thumb.jpg.eb74e32a3b664cd23c4b6a01b2d17058.jpg

This is clearly post-mint damage. Note, for example, the displaced metal in the damaged areas and traces of the design of the coin inside of the "clip", indicating that the coin had been struck before the metal was displaced and the "clip" was made.  I don't know how any of this damage could be said to be due to "improper annealing".

Please read the following article recently posted by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

On 7/23/2024 at 7:34 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

I have seen improperly annealing and clipped planchets but this takes the cake. This looks like the planchet was nearly clipped and there are parts of the motto E Pluribus Unum on the obverse as well as some concave areas. I really don't know. 20240723_192705.thumb.jpg.824472ed30fb36c05962d72226f664e1.jpg20240723_192847.thumb.jpg.eb74e32a3b664cd23c4b6a01b2d17058.jpg

I looks like a Washington State Quarter from the same year was struck at the same time. You can see the trees with islands and the design below the fish. 

On 7/23/2024 at 7:44 PM, Sandon said:

This is clearly post-mint damage. Note, for example, the displaced metal in the damaged areas and traces of the design of the coin inside of the "clip", indicating that the coin had been struck before the metal was displaced and the "clip" was made.  I don't know how any of this damage could be said to be due to "improper annealing".

Please read the following article recently posted by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

I have read the article. Illicitly Applied Die Impressions correct which is post strike mint damage. The coin also has characteristics of an annealing issue. I didn't feel it was a variety or major error but just have seen in the past that these coins have been known to fetch cool numbers. Not for the post strike damage but for the annealing. Just had never seen one like this that looks off annealing wise and have that type of PSD that was created. 2007 Kentucky does have an improperly annealing variety correct? Thanks Sandon. Yeah I don't trust YouTube or any other site that says 400,000 dollar quarter found. Thanks man. I appreciate the response 

On 7/23/2024 at 7:58 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

I have read the article. Illicitly Applied Die Impressions correct which is post strike mint damage. The coin also has characteristics of an annealing issue. I didn't feel it was a variety or major error but just have seen in the past that these coins have been known to fetch cool numbers. Not for the post strike damage but for the annealing. Just had never seen one like this that looks off annealing wise and have that type of PSD that was created. 2007 Kentucky does have an improperly annealing variety correct? Thanks Sandon. Yeah I don't trust YouTube or any other site that says 400,000 dollar quarter found. Thanks man. I appreciate the response 

It is listed as post strike mint damage that was due to Illicitly Applied Die Impressions . I know there is a huge difference in during strike and after strike. I guess that is the PMD. I have seen people argue about that. I think if it happens after the strike it is PMD

On 7/23/2024 at 8:01 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

I think if it happens after the strike it is PMD

Not think. If it happens after it is struck it IS post mint damage.

On 7/23/2024 at 7:44 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

I looks like a Washington State Quarter from the same year was struck at the same time.

It looks like a vise job.

On 7/23/2024 at 7:58 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

The coin also has characteristics of an annealing issue.

I do not see anything to suggest there is an annealing issue with this quarter which would make it look generally very dull and "washed out" in appearance. This does not look dull to me.

On 7/23/2024 at 11:44 PM, powermad5000 said:

Not think. If it happens after it is struck it IS post mint damage.

It looks like a vise job.

I do not see anything to suggest there is an annealing issue with this quarter which would make it look generally very dull and "washed out" in appearance. This does not look dull to me.

Thanks guys. I figured it was too good to be true. Thanks. I was trying to understand the collar situation and the clip which in some cases can create weird coins. I just think this one was straight sabotaged at the mint. 

Coins at the mint are struck with the speed of a machine gun, and even faster. There is no time to sabotage anything, other than perhaps a die, as in the Nebraska ATB quarter, which has dozens of INTENTIONALLY MONKEYED WITH varieties. Someone needs to have their career ended over junk like that.