• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual uncirculated 1971-s Ike Silver Dollar
1 1

49 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2024 at 1:00 AM, powermad5000 said:

Because it graded MS 68, that's why. $120 in the price guide. I bought it as a kid and if I am not mistaken the original purchase price was $7.

I agree. Sometimes you have to put money into a coin to bring out it's true value. Sometimes you have to do something to even market the coin.

Edited by ldhair

On 7/27/2024 at 7:57 PM, Coinbuf said:

While I cannot directly answer your question collectors have on many occasions spent monies on grading that may not have been the best decision monetarily speaking.   We usually try and dissuade newbies from sending coins in for grading until they know enough to know what they are doing.   But advanced or longtime collectors might do something like this for reasons other than monetary gain, noting wrong with having coins graded if you know what and why you are doing so.

The coin shop I go to probably have 200 blue envelopes. $15 each. I bought a set when they were $10 each but nobody wants them.Sure I got the full set of them but it was cheap to put together. If you took the time to really go through them I think one could pull a MS68 out of there. It's possible but boring. Really now a great coin as far as exciting goes. 

On 7/28/2024 at 5:46 AM, ldhair said:

I agree. Sometimes you have to put money into a coin to bring out it's true value. Sometimes you have do something to even market the coin.

I don't think this is the coin to do it with. It's a bargain bin coin. 

On 7/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, Halbrook Family said:

It's a bargain bin coin.

1971 S Silver in MS 67 is currently $300 in the price guide and MS 68 is currently $6,250. I don't see how that is a bargain bin coin.

On 7/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I don't think this is the coin to do it with. It's a bargain bin coin. 

Yes and that's the hard part for most to learn. No two coins are the same. Few coins can be helped but some can. Learning the difference is the hard part. I won't mess with a coin that I don't understand but may pay a bit to a conservation service with better skills than I have. That sometimes helps me be able to market the coin.  

On 7/28/2024 at 12:42 PM, powermad5000 said:

1971 S Silver in MS 67 is currently $300 in the price guide and MS 68 is currently $6,250. I don't see how that is a bargain bin coin.

I just can't see that. It's a tough one to get a perfect coin probably. But is it that expensive because not many send that in for grading? I didn't look up the population. There is a whole lot of coin to get damaged. There is so many 1971 s blue envelopes out there. 

On 7/28/2024 at 6:01 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I just can't see that. It's a tough one to get a perfect coin probably. But is it that expensive because not many send that in for grading? I didn't look up the population. There is a whole lot of coin to get damaged. There is so many 1971 s blue envelopes out there. 

If by now there aren't that many sent in for grading, it must be because not many would grade that high...since from a price perspective it would seem to be worth it. (thumbsu

So the OP's coin is an MS-67 or MS-68 ?

On 7/28/2024 at 6:12 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

So the OP's coin is an MS-67 or MS-68 ?

No!  The OP thought that he has some sort of prototype Eisenhower dollar, which clearly isn't the case. The gash beneath the eagle's wing, which was apparently submitted as evidence that there is something special about the coin, would likely preclude such a lofty grade. The 1971-S uncirculated issue is usually of lower (MS 62 to 64) quality.

As often happens here, some of the replies departed from the original topic. Apparently, @powermad5000 has a 1972-S that graded MS 68. The 1972-S issue was generally much better handled than the 1971-S.

On 7/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, Halbrook Family said:

And the general quality of the 1971-S “blue Ikes” is significantly below the other three years. 

On 7/27/2024 at 11:00 PM, powermad5000 said:

Because it graded MS 68, that's why. $120 in the price guide. I bought it as a kid and if I am not mistaken the original purchase price was $7.

Saw a 1976 s ms 69 in bargain bin for $39. There was another one in there but I forget which one it was for about the same price. It must be the earlier ones that are big bucks. Hard to find good ones in unc sets.  

On 7/29/2024 at 7:39 PM, VKurtB said:

And the general quality of the 1971-S “blue Ikes” is significantly below the other three years. 

So the 1971 S Blue Ike is the one to get in perfect shape? Most Ike's look like this in unc packs that I have seen. My 1971 S has pretty much the same marks on it as this 1976 s coin on neck. Not a coin worth grading by any means.  

20230926_204916.jpg

DSC01802.JPG

I am sorry to say this coin is not only completely common it also has what appears to be a wheel mark on the obverse. The coin is very low grade with many scratches mint handling marks and terrible strike. A normal damaged Ike. Sorry, everyone is right...plus the coin is junk(spend it) because of the mark. Cheers!image.png.0139cd318e857779a15b25566f685aac.png

On 8/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, Halbrook Family said:

So the 1971 S Blue Ike is the one to get in perfect shape? Most Ike's look like this in unc packs that I have seen. My 1971 S has pretty much the same marks on it as this 1976 s coin on neck. Not a coin worth grading by any means.  

20230926_204916.jpg

DSC01802.JPG

The issue is the 40% silver uncirculated “blue Ike” version. In 1971 there was either less careful handling of the coins during packaging or they just let them bang around post-strike. By 1972, there was obviously more care being applied. By 1974, they were pretty much pristine. Then the 3-coin 40% Bicentennial set were really nice. 

On 8/7/2024 at 8:46 AM, Halbrook Family said:

Saw a 1976 s ms 69 in bargain bin for $39.

Why would a silver $7,000 coin be in a bargain bin for $39. Something about this bin, or about the proposed grade makes no sense here. Was this graded in a slab, or you thought it to be an MS 69??? Or was it a proof? And if it was a proof, why would it be laying raw in a bargain bin???? Too much does not make sense here.

Edited by powermad5000

On 8/7/2024 at 9:41 PM, powermad5000 said:

Why would a silver $7,000 coin be in a bargain bin for $39. Something about this bin, or about the proposed grade makes no sense here. Was this graded in a slab, or you thought it to be an MS 69??? Or was it a proof? And if it was a proof, why would it be laying raw in a bargain bin???? Too much does not make sense here.

Maybe it was graded MS69 by Bubba’s Coin Grading, just down the holler by the Marathon station.

On 8/7/2024 at 7:41 PM, powermad5000 said:

I think it was a non silver proof coin. I'll check it out the next tie I go. There was two graded Ike's in there. 

On 8/7/2024 at 9:14 PM, VKurtB said:

Maybe it was graded MS69 by Bubba’s Coin Grading, just down the holler by the Marathon station.

I'm pretty sure it was a NGC grade. Perhaps I got the grade wrong. I know they were both in the $30 range. 

I can't really picture too many people going through blue envelopes looking for a good Ike. 

You have the 1971 S proof and the 1971 s. The 1971 S is the hard one? 

On 8/9/2024 at 1:37 AM, Halbrook Family said:

You have the 1971 S proof and the 1971 s. The 1971 S is the hard one? 

The 71 S proofs top graded as PF 69's with some Cameo and some Ultra Cameo. A 71 S PF 69 UC lists for $80 in the price guide.

A 71 S Silver (business strike) was best graded by NGC as MS 68 with only 2 graded by NGC at that level and list for $6,250 in the price guide.