• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 p error or bad quality control
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I found a 2015 p dime that seem to have a few anomalies. Are they errors or has someone not been doing the quality control.

17216990939865598087407981923394.jpg

17216991174823954587623651677240.jpg

17216991473378364808502540844394.jpg

17216991688305005116429440085551.jpg

This extensive damage is so obvious, that it's difficult to imagine anyone who has ever spent coins could ask if it was caused by "bad quality control."

Has "social media" killed ordinary common sense?

;)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Before I comment, I would like to ask you one question. Do you truly believe the Mint would produce a coin looking like this and let it out into circulation, basically saying "Eh, you can still tell what it is so it'll be alright." ??????

Hopefully you pondered that question for a bit and arrived at the most logical answer.

This poor Roosevelt dime has been severely, and nearly catastrophically damaged after it left the Mint as a normal looking dime.

I appreciate the insight thank you for not being rude. I've never gotten into coins until recently and have found them to be very interesting with the history. I wasn't concerned per say about value. More towards uniqueness. This is the first time I've had the balls to ask. I'm not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person because I asked. So ty for you feedback.

On 7/22/2024 at 10:42 PM, RWB said:

This extensive damage is so obvious, that it's difficult to imagine anyone who has ever spent coins could ask if it was caused by "bad quality control."

Has "social media" killed ordinary common sense.

If society is producing individuals who answer a simple inquiry with such  a high over ones status reply like yours. Then I'd rather be senseless . Atleast I have the common decency to talk and ask, unlike your  who must really be low place of self to insult a simple inquiry from someone seeking knowledge. The only stupid person is a person who thinks they are all knowing.

Good day I say..

On 7/22/2024 at 11:44 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Before I comment, I would like to ask you one question. Do you truly believe the Mint would produce a coin looking like this and let it out into circulation, basically saying "Eh, you can still tell what it is so it'll be alright." ??????

Hopefully you pondered that question for a bit and arrived at the most logical answer.

This poor Roosevelt dime has been severely, and nearly catastrophically damaged after it left the Mint as a normal looking dime.

I wouldn't think the mint would do that per say but individuals? Who knows I'm learning coins and am very new to all this. So I'm learning the process of everything. And honestly it's such a wide range of multi faceted subjects with each only leading to another of series of questions that I thought I d just take a chance and ask those who are the knowledge of this adventure I'm starting to learn. Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time

On 7/23/2024 at 1:18 AM, Kitty72 said:

I wouldn't think the mint would do that per say but individuals? Who knows I'm learning coins and am very new to all this. So I'm learning the process of everything. And honestly it's such a wide range of multi faceted subjects with each only leading to another of series of questions that I thought I d just take a chance and ask those who are the knowledge of this adventure I'm starting to learn. Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time sorry

On 7/23/2024 at 1:18 AM, Kitty72 said:

I'm learning coins and am very new to all this. So I'm learning the process of everything. And honestly it's such a wide range of multi faceted subjects....

Welcome.  Do yourself a favor and don't start this hobby with errors.  Error Coins are an area of this hobby where a LOT of different skillets need to be employed to be successful. You will need to understand the minting and die making process, and deciphering errors from damage is a folly that takes many new collectors down the wrong road.  This road generally leaves the new collector with a pile of damaged coins, and an unhealthy amount of discouragement.

If you are interested in coins, I would encourage you to go the opposite route.  Try to find the nicest coins available.  Try to find coins with no marks and no ugly spots.  Try to find one of those nice coins for every date an mintmark of a series.  You do not need a large budget to do this... and I suggest Jefferson Nickels or Roosevelt Dimes if you want to look for circulated coins (I pick these because you can find almost all of the coins (less the silver issues) in circulation).  

Once you find some mark-free examples... look at them at 7-10X magnification (do they still look good)?  Then, look at that coin (under magnification) next to graded examples... does it match the XF45, AU55, MS65 (don't be surprised if you are more wrong than right at first).  Grading coins for condition is not easy, but it is probably the most important component in judging a coins's value and collectability.  Error coins are also judged based on condition, so learning to grade and evaluate condition is a no-lose move for you.

Good Luck.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 7/23/2024 at 4:46 AM, LOCK34 said:

Not to be snarky, simply a point of reference. If you were shopping for a car at a car dealership and you saw this car in the dealer’s lot, would your first thought be “Did that come from the factory in that condition” or would your first thought upon seeing it be “that was damaged after it left the factory?”

A58FD575-33EF-4949-A2CC-79444D57A9C3.jpeg

I can't believe it you actually managed to find the elusive "Double Died" Ford Taurus!      Incredible find!  

On 7/23/2024 at 4:25 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Error Coins are an area of this hobby where a LOT of different skillets need to be employed to be successful.

You must have at least 4. One each for bacon, ham, eggs and pancakes or you're not going to make it.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 7/23/2024 at 1:13 AM, Kitty72 said:

If society is producing individuals who answer a simple inquiry with such  a high over ones status reply like yours. Then I'd rather be senseless . Atleast I have the common decency to talk and ask, unlike your  who must really be low place of self to insult a simple inquiry from someone seeking knowledge. The only stupid person is a person who thinks they are all knowing.

Good day I say..

Thank you! Your comment is another nail in the coffin of common sense. Yours is not a "simple inquiry," but a statement that you are detached from ordinary realities. Presumably, you have handled common coins since childhood, yet the mutilated mess you posted suggests an inability to make as basic distinction between a normal dime and one that is obviously badly damage. I doubt this would have occurred without the influence of fools trolling for dollars on "social media" or posting "click bate" lies on U-Tube.

Consider throwing out the stupid phone and using your own mind to develop the basic talents you were born with.

:) Have a good day!

PS: No one is insulting you, except yourself. Using "common sense," as the Governor of Alabama remarked, requires that you think first.

Edited by RWB

On 7/23/2024 at 10:17 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I can't believe it you actually managed to find the elusive "Double Died" Ford Taurus!      Incredible find!  

Wait! Is that back wheel doubled....?

On 7/23/2024 at 12:18 AM, Kitty72 said:

I wouldn't think the mint would do that per say but individuals?

I see. Well, there are only so many ways the Mint can err and produce an error coin in the process of making coins, but there are innumerable ways for an individual or machine to damage the coin once it has left the Mint.

We have probably seen most ways on here but I am sure there will be one in the future that will become a head scratcher. I personally have seen coins cut, bent, scratched, burned, squeezed, ground, snipped, buried, run over by cars, lost in dryers, made into rings, made into necklaces, ruined in rolling machines. plated, dipped in acid, hammered on, holed, painted, crushed, and the list goes on and on.

I was not trying to be a jerk in my comment but I was just trying to see if I could determine why your thoughts were the way they were.

In defense of the OP, one has to remember way back to when they did not know anything and had no clue of the mint process. Which is where the OP seems to be at, but is at the disadvantage of finding a lot of misinformation if they use the internet to try to learn this hobby. For the OP, as you are in the process of learning, the link to the article below by Jeff Garrett would be a necessary read for you to help you get off to a good start. Also you would do well to obtain two books. One, the Red Book of United States Coins, 2025. The second book titled ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition. Each book has excellent information for the beginner to learn.

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics

On 7/22/2024 at 9:42 PM, RWB said:

Has "social media" killed ordinary common sense?

;)

Yes, it CLEARLY has. We used to think that ignorance was caused by lack of access to information. We now know that is not the problem, and never was.