• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happens if my coin isn't minimum grade I put on submission form?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

If my coin doesn't meet what I have for mimimum grade will I be charged for the service still even though the coin didn't get encapsulated or a grade? Should I put a conservative grade for a minimum?

I am new to grading and go by books and pictures on heritage coins website of graded coins for comparison but I sure don't want to pay the fee for grading and just get back my raw coin. I am strictly doing this as an investment at this time.

Thanks, Robert

Hi,

Yes, you would still be charged the normal fees because the grading process would be the same, if your coin meets the minimum grade and is holdered or is not holdered and returned raw. I would recommend you go to our list of authorized dealers HERE and locate your nearest authorized dealer, and ask their opinion prior to submittal.

Thanks,

• Administrator

Please also be aware that you may leave the 'minimum grade' column on the submission form blank. In this case NGC will encapsulate the coin no matter what the grade.

However it is still possible for a coin to be returned ungraded and not encapsulated for a variety of reasons.

Just a few are if the coin:

• * is not genuine
    * has been cleaned or artificially toned
    * has altered surfaces or corrosion
    * is damaged
    * exhibits rim filing

See No Grade Booklet for full details.

Nevertheless, since these coins are still received, examined, tracked, and shipped just like graded coins while in our possession, all normal fees apply.

I Thank You both and will leave the minimum grade blank. Now, I need to know if I need to report my voided submittal form for NGC to be aware it is not going to be used.

Robert