• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986 penny with error I've never seen before
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please note that the "NGC Registry" forum is for topics pertaining to the NGC certified coin registry. Topics such as yours are best posted and will receive more attention on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.  (The Administrator will likely move it there.) 

From what I can see, your 1986-D Lincoln cent does not exhibit a mint error. (It would have been helpful for you to describe what you think constitutes an error.) There appears to be a large plating blister beneath the "R" and "T" of "LIBERTY".  Such blisters are very common on copper plated zinc cents, especially those dating from the 1980s and 90s and are regarded as quality control issues rather than mint errors. The coin also has rim damage on both sides that would have occurred after the coin left the mint and, accordingly, does not constitute a mint error.

On 7/15/2024 at 6:23 PM, JohnERose said:

Trying to find out what I can about this error as I can't find any info anywhere... Anyone could help I'd appreciate it immensely... thank you

Welcome to the forum, this section of the forum is for questions that pertain to the NGC registry, general questions like yours are better suited in the newbie section of this forum where it will be seen by a greater number of forum members.    The reason you cannot find any info is because your coin has no errors just damage it received during it's time in circulation.

I, for one, earnestly promise to let you know if whether you’ve seen one before ever becomes a relevant factor. Please do not hold your breath.