• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on 1908 Indian Head Cent
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Any opinions on this Indian Head Cent. I haven't gone crazy and started to get all of these in BU shape or anything. I'm trying that on the 32 - 98 quarters. It's getting expensive. I don't see many Indian Cents around here that are that BU though. 

DSC02854.JPG

DSC02858.JPG

This coin appears to be uncirculated and "red and brown" in color, assuming that the color is original, which is hard to tell from photos. It would also be difficult to estimate a numerical grade from photos. If you want to collect uncirculated Indian cents with original color, you might want to buy them in grading service holders, at least until you become familiar with what the original pieces look like.

On 7/15/2024 at 5:51 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Any opinions on this Indian Head Cent. I haven't gone crazy and started to get all of these in BU shape or anything. I'm trying that on the 32 - 98 quarters. It's getting expensive. I don't see many Indian Cents around here that are that BU though. 

It has BU sharpness of detail, but photos taken of coins through the window of a 2X2 make judging the luster very difficult.    From these photos alone I would guess the coin grades MS63 red/brown, but I might have very different opinion if I was able to see the coin out of the 2x2 or in hand.

This is a very common date and while I would not call the tone unattractive, I also would not call it attractive, for the right price it would be a nice album coin.

I like it period.  Some of us get it right the first time because there is just not enough time to wait for an upgrade to surface later. You've done just fine.

Now, the quarters will keep you busy.  You may want to view the Set Registry for each to get an idea as to where the rough spots are.  Best of luck!

One more thing, and I have never said this before, if you own a set of magnificent of IHC or GWQ, and have not dispersed your upgraded examples, be a mensch and give this gentleman a head up.

I received a courtesy call from a gentleman in France who was in the process of taking down his set and was kind enough to give me a heads up as to a particular year he knew would improve my registered set. We should all be so considerate.  Best of luck!

Unfortunately, your coin would grade UNC Details Damaged due to the large circular gouge in the reverse. This would not be seen as a contact mark by a professional coin grader and would not be overlooked by them either. I'm sorry I have to be the one who tells you the truth, but it is what it is. Cheers!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       image.png.ed2a500656e80e3b0107cbed089dce5f.png

On 7/16/2024 at 6:57 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Unfortunately, your coin would grade UNC Details Damaged due to the large circular gouge in the reverse. This would not be seen as a contact mark by a professional coin grader and would not be overlooked by them either. I'm sorry I have to be the one who tells you the truth, but it is what it is. Cheers!

I decided to take a longer look at this IHC, and I am now wondering if the graders would give it a details for environmental damage for the black part near the rim and lettering between 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock. Not sure. They dinged one of my LWCs for a spot much smaller than that on Abe's face.

On 7/16/2024 at 6:32 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I like it period.  Some of us get it right the first time because there is just not enough time to wait for an upgrade to surface later. You've done just fine.

Now, the quarters will keep you busy.  You may want to view the Set Registry for each to get an idea as to where the rough spots are.  Best of luck!

One more thing, and I have never said this before, if you own a set of magnificent of IHC or GWQ, and have not dispersed your upgraded examples, be a mensch and give this gentleman a head up.

I received a courtesy call from a gentleman in France who was in the process of taking down his set and was kind enough to give me a heads up as to a particular year he knew would improve my registered set. We should all be so considerate.  Best of luck!

Hard to find red ihc round here. Got a 56 proof qtr but it was cheap and not the very best one

DSC02862.JPG

How hard is it to get a full red cent book of 1909 to 1964? I got all the 1960's to the 1940's except 42s. Actually got 1935 on that are red. And a half a dozen before that. Really pricey before that. 

On 7/17/2024 at 2:43 AM, Halbrook Family said:

How hard is it to get a full red cent book of 1909 to 1964? I got all the 1960's to the 1940's except 42s. Actually got 1935 on that are red. And a half a dozen before that. Really pricey before that.

I would say this would be very difficult and also very expensive. I know there are some dates not very widely available in RD and if you do find one it will be highly expensive.

On 7/17/2024 at 1:42 PM, powermad5000 said:

I would say this would be very difficult and also very expensive. I know there are some dates not very widely available in RD and if you do find one it will be highly expensive.

yes I have seen that. 1934 - 1995 have been pretty cheap. Got 20d, 26, 29, 30, 30s and 33. There is lots of 1909 not that expensive. $200 range for lots of them. 1909 proof which I have never seen should be cheap. 1910, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1916, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1923 and others should be cheap but I haven't been able to find them. My red book is from 2018 and it says lots of them are cheap. 

On 7/18/2024 at 7:18 PM, Halbrook Family said:

My red book is from 2018 and it says lots of them are cheap.

I have a 2018 Red Book but I don't use it for pricing. I bought the 2025 Red Book. I still don't use it for pricing but the listed prices are a little more reflective of the current date we are at now. The 2018 was issued before the pandemic began. Prices fluctuated a lot during and after the pandemic. I would say the prices in the 2018 Red Book are obsolete as of now.

Edited by powermad5000