• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

would someone help identifying this coin from my grandpa?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2024 at 10:50 PM, Dustin Devine said:

any advice on the green stuff?

This is likely a compound formed from a corrosion product and contains some of the original coin metal (On ancient copper coins, this substance is sometimes euphemistically referred to as "patina".) It cannot be removed without further damaging the coin. You can try soaking the coin in acetone, a solvent, to remove any surface contamination that could cause further corrosion.  

On 7/16/2024 at 7:50 PM, Dustin Devine said:

I realize its a terrible version of the coin and its value is nothing but is there anything I can do to keep whats left of it as nice as can be. should it stay the way it is? any advice on the green stuff? Thank you I like the story. I wonder where my grandpa picked it up? he was in the Navy WW2 and dad was as well. I went into Nat. Guard. I have a bunch of coins from around ports I guess. Thank You

The green stuff commonly called verdigris is actually an acid compound called Malachite. Malachite (Copper(II)  Acetate and Copper(II) Carbonate) is formed when copper is subjected to atmospheric or subterranean oxidation. It can be safely removed by soaking the coin in a base 5% molar solution of Sodium Sesquicarbonate (Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash) and Sodium Bi Carbonate (Baking Soda)). Don't have any just laying around? Well, here's how you make it. Use eye protection and skin protection as this solution is a base and does irritate skin. Do not ingest and keep away from pets and children. In a 200ml Pyrex glass container add 100 ml of distilled water. Place 10.6 grams of Sodium Carbonate and then 8.4 grams of Sodium Bi Carbonate into the water. Stir until chunks are formed. Continue to stir until the white chunks are starting to be completely dissolved. Place your coin in the solution and seal with a lid to prevent evaporation. Let the coin soak for 7 days. The solution will begin to turn blue as the reaction is taking place. This means it's working. Remove the coin on day 8 then rinse with distilled water and pat dry. You should see the complete removal of the verdigris at this point. If there is still a light patina of green on the coin return the coin to the solution and check it in 3 days. Remove the coin again and rinse with distilled water and pat dry. If this does not remove everything thing it is not removable and would damage the coin to go further. This is where you stop. Now the coin is what it is but at least its conserved and wont rot away on you. Cheers. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 7/16/2024 at 10:28 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Look into it for me. Show us what you are seeing. I see a coin that has damage and may be the NON-Joint Issue coin, which is what may be the difference still, it is attributed correctly to the correct ruler and period IMO.

Mike, you did the real work here. I was reading the dialogue here and I did my own look into this and I think Bob is right. Look at the symbols next to the "cow" or what is the Goddess. There's the two circles at the top but look at the symbols to the left and right of the Goddess and tell me if they don't more closely match this one I found on Numista.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44482.html

Edited by powermad5000

Posted (edited)

I honestly appreciate the time you've taken out of your day/nite to get me to a basic understanding of this coin.

you have peaked my interest into the old numismatic world. =)

Thank You very much Mike and everyone !

Dustinimage.jpeg.dcd7104d5df250ac20bb688dab526fdb.jpeg

g2.jpg

Edited by Dustin Devine