• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

would someone help identifying this coin from my grandpa?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

image.png.e2b73bea9b9eb20e987716e37a8fd9d7.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.22e915b17209bee13c1fa7b8d24ecf8b.jpeg

I think it is neat but, its got very light tourquise growth. I remember him tell me coins should not be cleaned. I doubt it has much value.  Also neat colonial notes. nice forums Thank You

Very nice ancient coin and notes, I do not collect in either of these areas but one of the fellows that does will be along soon to help.

Here's a better image of your coin. Please add a photo of the other side.

Image1.jpg

Edited by RWB

Hello and welcome!

I am surely not an expert in ancients but clear, cropped pics of both sides of the coin will probably be necessary for identification of it. As for your other question/comment, unless you have something that there is just one of, if there are other pictures of it available on the internet, then people don't need to come here to steal anything. If those have print on both sides, then only show one side if you are worried. People who know what it is will still know what it is.

On 7/15/2024 at 2:22 PM, Dustin Devine said:

image.thumb.jpeg.22e915b17209bee13c1fa7b8d24ecf8b.jpeg

The colonial currency looks questionable to me, possibly copies or contemporary counterfeits. The note on the right is representative of Fr# GA-117, Georgia Colonial Note authorized September 10, 1777. Do some research using that description and compare your note to known examples. If you post clearer and cropped images over at PMG of each note myself and others will take a closer look. https://boards.pmgnotes.com/

On 7/15/2024 at 8:25 PM, Dustin Devine said:

6 grams   3/4"

...and a clear photo of the other side, please.

On 7/16/2024 at 11:29 AM, Dustin Devine said:

Everyone Thank You 

for direction & assistance in my nuismatic growth =)image.thumb.jpeg.64e42e56a18eb563288800f46d4246d7.jpeg

The notes look like copies of originals and not genuine examples. Probably modern, 20th century, replicas.

Please....post sharp, clear photos of both sides of the coin. The tiny coin image in your bottom photo is useless.

Agree that the "notes" are tourist-trap imitations of no value. Notice the artificial "aging" on the edges among many other things.

Edited by RWB

Posted (edited)

Thank you all about notes I should have noticed the artificial aged, will try better pics of coin thank you all comments. I appreciate all the comments Thanks

gcoin2.thumb.jpg.b28a2cce2fcd70ec23fb7ec8ea32ac91.jpggcoin3.thumb.jpg.453def8f1470568d87bb7bffed9a4b7a.jpggcoin4.thumb.jpg.fd22c228495982b8dd9c6871192a5472.jpggcoin6.thumb.jpg.6a13b5461f579b586a11a09c687baf71.jpggcoin5.thumb.jpg.d14009344adf7cac2a45b86ef8ce5a52.jpg

Edited by Dustin Devine
add better photos

OK. Thank you! That's what I had originally though until I saw your attribution. The pellets at upper left are the Pleiades cluster in the constellation Taurus. The open circle should be the sun. Is that a crescent moon, also? Does this design commemorate some celestial event or anniversary?

The coin has been terribly struck and significant details are either missing or miss struck as well as damaged by corrosion and hits to the coin. It may be a different mint or area of minting as these coins can vary in detail somewhat but the overall style and appearance is the same. 

On 7/16/2024 at 7:01 PM, Just Bob said:

The inscription does not match the OP’s coin. It appears to be a later issue.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44482.html

I realize its a terrible version of the coin and its value is nothing but is there anything I can do to keep whats left of it as nice as can be. should it stay the way it is? any advice on the green stuff? Thank you I like the story. I wonder where my grandpa picked it up? he was in the Navy WW2 and dad was as well. I went into Nat. Guard. I have a bunch of coins from around ports I guess. Thank You

On 7/16/2024 at 5:04 PM, RWB said:

Does this design commemorate some celestial event or anniversary?

I have no idea....lol I'm just in it for the coins not the love stories....

On 7/16/2024 at 7:43 PM, Just Bob said:

It isn’t just a different mint or area, appears so though it is a different ruler and different time period. 

Look into it for me. Show us what you are seeing. I see a coin that has damage and may be the NON-Joint Issue coin, which is what may be the difference still, it is attributed correctly to the correct ruler and period IMO.

Edited by Mike Meenderink