• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does NCS choose whether to conserve a coin that is submitted for conservation and grading?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I submitted an existing TPG coin (key date) for conservation and grading.  The coin had what appeared to be adhesive on the back to affix to an old coin board.  NCS chose not to conserve it, but did re-grade it (same grade as prior TPG).

Why would such a coin not be conserved?

• Administrator

Hello @JCS Jr. thank you for contacting us. Hope you are doing well! Can you please provide the certificate number of the coin so we can look into this for you?

Thank you!

Hi KaileeS,

The certificate number is:  NGC 5898302-001

I would greatly appreciate any information about why this wasn't conserved, when it appears that the coin had adhesive on the reverse.

Jim Shake

• Administrator

Hello @JCS Jr, thank you for following up with the cert number. I reached out to our processing team to get their eyes on this and will follow up with you when I know more. Thanks again and please let us know if you have any additional questions in the meantime!

Hi Julia,

My question does pertain to my 2020 submission.  I called back in 2020 but the person I spoke with said they couldn’t provide an answer.  That was extremely frustrating!!

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated!

Jim Shake

• Administrator

Hello @JCS Jr, thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about that. Due to the length of time that has passed, we unfortunately do not have additional insight to provide on why NCS was not done on your coin. I followed up with you via email regarding the coin. Thank you again and please have a great day!

I've sent PL and DMPL Morgan Dollars that deserved 67's in for Conservation and NGC used a Cleaning Product that was too Strong and ruined the PL and DMPL. The Coins came back with Low 60's grades and no PL or DMPL. I called NGC and they said they had no clue what happened. I think some of the Grading Staff was not worthy of their extremely important jobs and messed up my coins and many others. It was January of 2022 I believe. Anyone else have this happen to them around then? I want my Morgan Dollars replaced with 67 DMPL and PL like I had submitted and free CAC stickers.