• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here as of yesterday, with a question that’s probably already been answered about NIFC’s
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I remember getting a couple of rolls of coins at the bank and going through them with my mom. She would ask me to read the dates and we did our best to fill penny books and collect other random coins. Good memories. I’m not sure when that stopped probably some time in the late 70’s. Then this past fall, 2023 I visited the Canadian mint in Ottawa and my interest returned. I now find myself going through rolls of coins at an alarming rate and often wonder if my wife thinks what I already know; I’ve become slightly obsessed with this coin collecting thing. One of my “obsessions” seems to be Kennedy halves and so finally to my question if you’ve stayed with me this long. Yes, silver in a roll is the prize but I’ve enjoyed filling in my books as well. I realize if it’s not silver it’s pretty much worth 50 cents but then there are the NIFC’s. I don’t have all of them collected just yet but I’m beginning to get a collection of duplicates; probably about 40 at this point. I’m told they aren’t worth more than face value but still, I hold onto them. Maybe at some point I’ll just keep the best of them and return the rest into circulation. I’d like to hear other thoughts on these NIFC coins. Do you collect all of them or maybe just the 1987’s and of course the 1970, which I’m yet to find? I’d just like to know if I’m the only one holding onto this fools gold as it were. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the Forum!   :hi:

I am glad one of our more knowledgeable members weighed in and clarified a term I have never heard used, and I have been collecting off and on now for over 50 years.

Obsessed?  Not at all. In fact, you may wish to explore the Forum dedicated to "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins." There are many topics there including a popular one called, "For the Love of Silver." There you will find a rich treasure trove of what collectors here refer to as silver "rounds" produced by private mints, many devoted to a specific theme or area of interest. Most, I believe, are issued in 1 troy ounce pieces at a fineness of .999. Prices vary with the prevailing spot price of silver and  fabrication costs. One mint effectively circumvents the legal requirement its product is a copy or replica by issuing a faithful reproduction in other metals or the original precious metal used, in double-thick, two-ounce size "coins" imprinted with the mint's name, the composition of metal and its weight, avdp ozs. for copper, and troy ounces for the precious metals. As you may know, the U.S. Mint issued 5-oz "pure" silver coins and other countries have produced 1-Kilogram "pure" silver coins. With a cell or computer, the world is at your fingertips. Happy Hunting!

As for the topic of the question posed, these NIFC as you refer to them (thanks Sandon because I would have had to ask just what that meant!), whether Mint Set or Proofs, I am not really a collector of because they were not intended for circulation. My view for many decades is anybody can collect something that was never meant to be anything but a display piece, but the real challenge of this hobby to me is to try to find things not intended to be stored away immediately after being made, and to hunt down things in the best condition possible those things that were fully intended to be well used.  I am what you might call a "traditional" collector if that is even a thing.

That is just how I am, and each and every person in this hobby has their own thing, so collect whatever "floats your boat" is what I say,

On 7/10/2024 at 5:40 PM, Drumdrops said:

I remember getting a couple of rolls of coins at the bank and going through them with my mom. She would ask me to read the dates and we did our best to fill penny books and collect other random coins. Good memories. I’m not sure when that stopped probably some time in the late 70’s. Then this past fall, 2023 I visited the Canadian mint in Ottawa and my interest returned. I now find myself going through rolls of coins at an alarming rate and often wonder if my wife thinks what I already know; I’ve become slightly obsessed with this coin collecting thing. One of my “obsessions” seems to be Kennedy halves and so finally to my question if you’ve stayed with me this long. Yes, silver in a roll is the prize but I’ve enjoyed filling in my books as well. I realize if it’s not silver it’s pretty much worth 50 cents but then there are the NIFC’s. I don’t have all of them collected just yet but I’m beginning to get a collection of duplicates; probably about 40 at this point. I’m told they aren’t worth more than face value but still, I hold onto them. Maybe at some point I’ll just keep the best of them and return the rest into circulation. I’d like to hear other thoughts on these NIFC coins. Do you collect all of them or maybe just the 1987’s and of course the 1970, which I’m yet to find? I’d just like to know if I’m the only one holding onto this fools gold as it were. Thanks for reading.

Welcome:hi: