• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020w v75 quarter
1 1

6 posts in this topic

It would have to grade at least MS66 to be worth the cost of grading
otherwise you would be losing money. Where did you get this coin?

Thank you. I got it from a gas station I had stopped at to get air. Machine didn't work. Got home and was going to do laundry and it looked real shiny. I looked at it and saw the W. Took it back home and put it up. I was in Maine

In the future, please crop your photos to eliminate as much as possible of the surface that surrounds the coin.

I assume that by "getting a grade" you mean submitting the coin to a third-party grading service.  Unless you have the knowledge and experience of grading yourself to determine that this 2020-W Tallgrass Prairie quarter (all of which have the "V75" privy mark) would be very likely to be awarded a grade high enough to be worth substantially more than the combined grading, processing and shipping costs involved with submission, the answer is "no". I recommend that only coins predicted to have market values of at least several hundred dollars each be submitted to grading services.

At NGC, assuming that you have paid for a membership with submission privileges, this would involve a minimum $19 per coin "Modern" tier grading fee, a $10 per order processing fee, a $28 per order return shipping fee, and your cost of shipping the coin to NGC, so if you submitted this one coin, the cost would be $57, not including your own shipping costs. The NGC Price guide doesn't currently price this issue, while the PCGS Price Guide retail prices it under $57 in all grades under MS 65+ and only $75 in MS 66. See https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/washington-america-beautiful-quarters/1715/most-active/ms?pn=2, and it would really only be worthwhile to submit if it achieved a grade of MS 67 or higher. Such pieces are few and far between. It is very difficult to predict what grade a coin that is at or near uncirculated (mint state) will receive from photos, but it has nicks and spots that suggest it would be unlikely to achieve that high a grade. You should place it in a protective capsule or other proper holder and enjoy it as it is.

On 7/10/2024 at 1:06 PM, Tr0y said:

Thank you. I got it from a gas station I had stopped at to get air. Machine didn't work. Got home and was going to do laundry and it looked real shiny. I looked at it and saw the W. Took it back home and put it up. I was in Maine

Welcome to the Forum!

Q.A.:  Oy vey, TrOy!  At the very next Board meeting, I am going to suggest Newbies be Mirandized or, at the very least, be represented by counsel.

ASIDE TO CLIENT: Young man, your obvious propensity for telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but The Truth went over like a lead balloon.  Pffft!

TO THE COIRT:  I have filed the requisite Notice of Intent and as appointed counsel, I am going to request your Honor direct the jury to disregard all comments following, "Thank you," as being extraneous and highly prejudicial to my client to the extent I implore the Court to have them stricken from the record.

(My sincere apologies to Sandon. I am afraid I was not afforded an opportunity to coach, er, advise, my client as to proper courtroom procedure.)

TO CLIENT:  On the bright side, TrOy, you saved yourself a bundle on totally gratuitous grading costs.

THE COURT:  So ordered. Case dismissed. [Justice triumphs again!]

Bailiff, call the next case...

🐓 

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

Excellent find! I didn't think any of these were left out in circulation after the craze happened when they were all released into the wild and collectors went on manhunts for every one they could find.

This Tallgrass just so happens to be the only one of these V75 Privy quarters that I had stashed unintentionally and didn't discover I actually had this until about two years after they were issued. I wasn't aware of the situation so it sat in my album as a normal Tallgrass P or D issue.

As stated by Greenstang, it would need to grade MS 66 just to make submission worth it, and that is the grade mine was awarded. My surfaces are basically completely circulation nick free. I see a few circulation nicks on yours and I think it would grade out max at MS 65 especially for the marks I see on the reverse. It is still for sure a keeper though! If anything you renewed my extremely waning interest on continuing to look for W quarters in the wild! Thanks!

Edited by powermad5000