• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969s Mint error or filed down by someone?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

While going through some nickel rolls I came across this odd 1969s. I don’t see any scratch marks to imply it’s been intentionally damaged but I also can’t imagine a mint leaving it like this. All thoughts and opinions welcome.IMG_6930.thumb.jpeg.97434a3442bea32b938bed9315b1eb39.jpegIMG_6931.thumb.jpeg.f9d448accadb6346de57a7ffe2e28c29.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

This nickel you have has circulated showing some obvious wear at the rim near the date and LIBERTY. What maybe your eyes did not pick up, but your camera lens did is the crisscrossing scratches on the bust of Jefferson. The image of Jefferson was ground down somehow and with something. Why or what, we will never know, but it surely was intentionally damaged.

Your senses were right when you stated the Mint would never leave it like that. It was surely not minted that way and left the mint as an ordinary, normal looking nickel.

As you didn't include a picture of the reverse, I am just curious if whoever did that to the obverse also damaged the reverse or does the reverse look normal?

Actually I tried to include a picture of the reverse of the coin but it wouldn’t allow me to post it because I would have exceeded data size. The reverse does look normal and thanks for your response. I may keep it anyhow just because it’s unusual and after all, it will only cost me a nickel. ;)

Your device should have a function allowing you to "resize" images so that they will fit.