• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial Quarter Filled D and "I" In the word "In"
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.  Looks like circulation flattening to me, even if the D was originally filled that wouldn't be an error.  It is a common occurrence for the center of the mintmark to break as the dies wear, this leaves a filled mintmark on coins struck from the die.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'll restate the previous opinions, neither focus area of this quarter are errors.

Being you failed to post clear, cropped photos of both sides of the entire coin as well as your closeups, just going off your one closeup with the partial motto in it, as I can see the thickness of the lettering in that area tells me this is a well worn coin from heavy circulation. I don't think you have a broken post situation regarding the mintmark. I think the heavy circulation and a few hits which displaced metal of the mintmark caused the space inside the mintmark to become filled. We have seen quarters with less wear that took one massive hit to the mintmark and displaced enough metal to fill the space inside the mintmark.

As far as the I, on these Bicentennial Quarters, many times the I and W in the motto which is near the rim is weakly struck. This effect is also seen on other years where the dies were overused and not taken out of service. Between a weak strike of that part of the motto and the heavy wear has caused what you are seeing with the I.