• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2016 P Dime
1 1

15 posts in this topic

If you want to learn what a coin struck from a doubled die looks like and how to distinguish it from one exhibiting "worthless" strike or die deterioration doubling, I strongly suggest that you review my first post on your "2003-P Penny [actually, a nickel] w/multiple errors" topic and study the text and images from the NGC and doubleddie.com websites to which I provided links in that post.

Most of the coins you post here in the forum seem to have to do with some form of doubling as if you are searching for a DDO. Somewhere in the late 90's or early 2000's, the Mint had moved to a single squeeze hubbing process which virtually eliminated ALL DDO and DDR on modern coinage from that point on. Some of the minor varieties I think on this modern coinage are not true hub doubling but may be created by the die moving slightly during the hubbing process, but nothing like what I consider doubling to be as would be found on the 1972 Lincoln Memorial cents or the 1955 Lincoln Wheat cents.

What I see on this modern dime is die deterioration doubling, created from a worn die. The kind of "grainy" texture of the fields is an indication this coin was struck from worn dies as the smooth, clean appearance of the fields has degraded from too many strikes. You need to look at these coins overall for all the factors involved, and not just for this doubling feature you seem so desired to find.

Maybe @Sandon could post his link to the worthless forms of machine/strike/deterioration doubling as I know he has that link on copy/paste and you could read that information to better be able to assess these coins yourself in the future.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:33 AM, powermad5000 said:

Somewhere in the late 90's or early 2000's, the Mint had moved to a SINGLE SQUEEZE HUBBING PROCESS which VIRTUALLY ELIMINATED ALL DDO and DDR on modern coinage from that point on... 

....nothing like what I consider doubling to be as would be found on the 1972 Lincoln Memorial cents or the 1955 Lincoln Wheat cents.

What I see on this modern dime is die deterioration doubling, created from a worn die. The kind of "grainy" Texture OF THE FIELDS is an indication this coin was struck from worn dies as the SMOOTH, CLEAN APPEARANCE OF THE FIELDS OF THE FIELDS  has degraded from too many strikes...

You need to look at these coins OVERALL for all the factors involved, and not just for this doubling feature you seem so desired to find.

Key points with emphases added.

(Courtsey  🐓)

On 7/2/2024 at 7:00 PM, powermad5000 said:

I see that. For the record, I try to refrain from using shouty capitals xD

I understand.  I figured when taken in context, members would understand. On reflection, I should have cautioned Ricky to use bold letters.  Good point!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Clarity.